Solving for Theta and Phi in Direction of Propagation | Homework Statement

• Thread starter guilesar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi Theta
In summary, the direction of propagation is described by the values of theta and phi. The factor of 10^6 that is missing from the equation is for the directional derivative of the wave.
guilesar

Homework Statement

The direction of propagation is defined as ex=sin(theta)cos(phi), ey=sin(theta)sin(phi), ez=cos(theta). What are the values of theta and phi characterizing the direction of propagation?

Homework Equations

We have a point in space with the coordinates (r,theta,phi)=(2,3,4)

Components were defined in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, seeing as how the point is being designated by these numbers, and according to the spherical notation these numbers should represent theta and phi, I would think the answer would be theta=3 and phi=4. But that seems way too easy... so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
what does ex,ey,ez mean. Use LaTeX!

guilesar said:

Homework Statement

The direction of propagation is defined as ex=sin(theta)cos(phi), ey=sin(theta)sin(phi), ez=cos(theta). What are the values of theta and phi characterizing the direction of propagation?

This statement makes no sense to me. The equations [itex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x=\sin\theta\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{e}}_r[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y=\sin\theta\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{e}}_{\theta}[/itex],
and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z=\cos\theta\mathbf{\hat{e}}_{\phi}[/itex] simply relate the Cartesian unit vectors [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z\}[/itex] to the spherical unit vectors, [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_{r},\mathbf{\hat{e}}_{\theta},\mathbf{\hat{e}}_{\phi}\}[/itex]

They do not define the direction of propagation of a particle or wave. However, any direction can be written in terms of either set of unit vectors.

What was the exact wording on your original problem statement?

Homework Equations

We have a point in space with the coordinates (r,theta,phi)=(2,3,4)

This seems an unlikely way to give you a position vector...are you sure they don't mean [itex](x,y,z)=(2,3,4)[/itex]?

sorry, those are just elementary vectors. They could easily just be said x,y,z. I don't know what LaTeX is... :-p

This is just the second part of a four part problem. The original problem stated exactly as it was on my homework is:

A plane wave propagating in a given medium is expressed as

u(x,y,z,t)=u0exp[i(2x+3y+4z)*106-i1015t]

a. Find the given unit vector for the direction of propagation

A plane wave is generally described by:
expi[k*r -[tex]\omega[/tex]t]

So the k vector is: (2,3,4) or k*r: 2x+3y+4z

the direction is (2x+3y+4z)/ (22+32+42) =2/(29)1/2x+3/(29)1/2y+4/(29)1/2.

The problem I originally stated is exactly what my worksheet says for part B.

guilesar said:
A plane wave propagating in a given medium is expressed as

u(x,y,z,t)=u0exp[i(2x+3y+4z)*106-i1015t]

a. Find the given unit vector for the direction of propagation

A plane wave is generally described by:
expi[k*r -[tex]\omega[/tex]t]

So the k vector is: (2,3,4) or k*r: 2x+3y+4z

what happened to the factor of [itex]10^6[/itex]?

the direction is (2x+3y+4z)/ (22+32+42) =2/(29)1/2x+3/(29)1/2y+4/(29)1/2.

You should really use bolded letters, or something in order to denote vectors...Writing,

[tex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x+\frac{3}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y+\frac{4}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z[/tex]

makes your intended meaning much clearer.

The problem I originally stated is exactly what my worksheet says for part B.

Okay, it seems like they are telling you (in a very confusing manner!), that the x, y, and z-components of the direction of propagation are [itex]\sin\theta\cos\phi[/itex], [itex]\sin\theta\sin\phi[/itex] and [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] respectively. If so, then you basically have:

[tex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x+\frac{3}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y+\frac{4}{\sqrt{29}}\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z=\sin\theta\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x+\sin\theta\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y+\cos\theta\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z[/tex]

and you are asked to solve for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]

Yeah. I don't "forum" much so I just learned what Latex is tonight. But I'll work on it :)

Thank you very very much!

1. What is "Finding Theta and Phi"?

Finding Theta and Phi is a process used in mathematics and physics to determine the spherical coordinates of a point in space. It involves using the angles theta (θ) and phi (φ) to locate the point relative to a reference point at the origin.

2. How is "Finding Theta and Phi" different from finding Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes to locate a point in space, while spherical coordinates use theta and phi angles. This makes spherical coordinates better suited for describing points in three-dimensional space that have a radial component, such as those found in spherical objects.

3. What is the range of values for theta and phi?

Theta (θ) ranges from 0 to π radians, while phi (φ) ranges from 0 to 2π radians. In degrees, theta ranges from 0 to 180 degrees, while phi ranges from 0 to 360 degrees.

4. How can "Finding Theta and Phi" be applied in real-world situations?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics, astronomy, and engineering to describe the location and movement of objects in space. They are also used in navigation, such as in GPS systems, to determine the position of an object in relation to a reference point.

5. Is "Finding Theta and Phi" only applicable to three-dimensional space?

Yes, "Finding Theta and Phi" is used to locate points in three-dimensional space. In two-dimensional space, polar coordinates are used which only involve one angle, while in four-dimensional space, hyperspherical coordinates are used which involve three angles.