1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding thickness of upper layer

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    My task is

Let's consider a model made up of two horizontal layers: the upper layer has a velocity
    Vp1=3.0 km/s and the lower layer (or half space) has a velocity Vp2= 5.0 km/s. Aseismic experiment is conducted at the surface and showsthat the P wave refracted in the lower layer has a critical distance of 7.5 km and a critical time of 4.17 s. Based on this information, what is the thickness of the upper layer?

1. can i solve this by useing ti= (2z(v2^2 -v1^2)^1/2) / (v1*v2) and then
    z= (ti*v1*v2) / 2(v2^2-v1^2)^1/2?
    2. Is critical distance the thickness of layer 2?

greatful for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Check where the formula comes from, that should answer the question.
    Where did the critical distance go there?

No.

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    It only say ''two-layer case with horizontal interface'' and the intercept time is given by .... and solving for refractor depth. And i cant find any equation with xcrit in it. tryed to google it but did not find any equation with Xcrit in it.

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Searching for "critical distance seismics" gives the Wikipedia article about seismic refraction as one of the first hits, and this article has a formula. I think it is hard to miss that.

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5
    I only find seismic refraction when i google that.
    I still dont get it. i would still miss the T0 if i use that equation. And the critical distance and critical time info would not have been used

7. Feb 9, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I think you don't need the critical time here.

8. Feb 9, 2014 #7
    can i do this
    ic= sin^-1 3/5 = 36,8
    tan 36,8 = (7,5/2)/b = 0,75*3,75 = 2,8
    And say upper layer is 2,8meters?

9. Feb 9, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Meters? Certainly not.

I don't understand what you calculated there (please add a sketch), in particular I don't see how this is supposed to include the path of the waves at the critical distance.

10. Feb 10, 2014 #9
  11. Feb 10, 2014 #10

mfb

2016 Award

This is not the critical distance.

12. Feb 10, 2014 #11
    confused, taskes says ''Based on this information, what is the thickness of the upper layer?''

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted