1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding this line integral

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate this line integral ∫ F . dr , where F = (3x2 sin y)i + (x3 cos y)j between the origin (0,0) and the point (2,4):

(a) along straight line y = 2x
    (b) along curve y = x2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    dr = dx i + dy j

∫ [ (3x2 sin y) i + (x3 cos y)j ] . [dx i + dy j ]

= ∫ (3x2 sin y)dx + (x3 cos y)dy

= ∫ d(x3 sin y) from [0,0] to [2,4]

Does this mean that this line integral is independent of the path taken?

(b) If the line integral is independent of path, you should get the same answer..

Does dr = dx i + dy j still hold given that it's a curve now? do i have to use the "distance along curve" formula:

dr = √[ 1 + (dy/dx)2 ] dx

I've looked up RHB textbook it says it's fine to simply use dr = dx i + dy j ...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x and y are not independent. You can't treat y as a constant when integrating dx and vice versa. Take your first path, y=2x. r=i dx+j dy=i dx+j 2*dx. Eliminate y from the integration by putting y=2x everywhere.

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    I know x and y are not independent, as they are bounded by y = 2x...

But my question here is whether the integral is independent of the path taken or not since it can be reduced to ∫ d(x3 sin y)...

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is.

6. Dec 26, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can think of F as a field resulting from the scalar potential x3 sin y. Since that is single-valued, the field must be conservative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook