1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time from start to rest

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3, where b = 2.30 m/s^2 and c = 0.120 m/s^3.

How long after starting from rest is the car again at rest?

2. Relevant equations
    dx/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem I'm having with this question is I can't figure out how you can find the deceleration after the car stops accelerating. I know at t = 0 the velocity is 0 m/s, at t = 5s the velocity is 14m/s, and at t = 10s, the velocity is 10m/s this means the car decelerated from t = 5s to t = 10s. How do I find the deceleration to find how long it took the car to reach maximum velocity assuming it's 14.0m/s to come back to rest?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2
    Try using the fact that a=(delta v)/(delta t)

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    Ok, I got it...I just took the derivative of the distance formula which would make it into the velocity formula. Then I set the velocity equal to 0 and used the quadratic equation to find t.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4
    Sounds right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?