Finding time to go up one floor

• Thread starter astrololo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the time it takes for Albert to go upstair on a moving floor is 30 seconds, but it would take him 10 seconds if he walked instead.
astrololo
Member warned about posting without the template and with no effort
Albert goes upstair on a moving floor. When he let's the moving floor make him go upstairs, it takes him 30 seconds. When he walks while being on the moving floor, it takes him 10 seconds. How much time would it take him to go upstair if the moving floor didn't work anymore (So, you can only walk)

I have zero ideas what to do in this case. I think it might have something to do with relative speeds, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
astrololo said:
Albert goes upstair on a moving floor. When he let's the moving floor make him go upstairs, it takes him 30 seconds. When he walks while being on the moving floor, it takes him 10 seconds. How much time would it take him to go upstair if the moving floor didn't work anymore (So, you can only walk)

I have zero ideas what to do in this case. I think it might have something to do with relative speeds, but I'm not sure.

You should really keep the template and make an attempt at the problem, even if you have no idea.

Hint: What's the distance?

By "moving floor" I assume you mean "escalator." What basic distance-velocity-time equation should you use?

Student100 said:
You should really keep the template and make an attempt at the problem, even if you have no idea.

Hint: What's the distance?
Sorry, next time I'll use it. Distance is speed times time.

insightful said:
By "moving floor" I assume you mean "escalator." What basic distance-velocity-time equation should you use?
Yes, it's an escalator. I think I should use Distance = speed times time

astrololo said:
Sorry, next time I'll use it. Distance is speed times time.

Don't worry about the equations, you're not to the point of using any equations yet.

I'm asking what's the distance of the escalator. What is the problem trying to tell you physically.

Student100 said:
Don't worry about the equations, you're not to the point of using any equations yet.

I'm asking what's the distance of the escalator. What is the problem trying to tell you physically.
The problem doesn't provide any distance. In fact, the very next question is if I can guess the distance with the time only.

astrololo said:
The problem doesn't provide any distance. In fact, the very next question is if I can guess the distance with the time only.

Does it need to? Does the escalators length change? What can you tell me about the physical distance between the two points?

Student100 said:
Does it need to? Does the escalators length change? What can you tell me about the physical distance between the two points?
Oh, the distance stays constant whatever the situation.

astrololo said:
Oh, the distance stays constant whatever the situation.

Exactly. So if you picked an arbitrary value of 60 or 90 meters, would the answer change? Why don't you try that out.

Student100 said:
Exactly. So if you picked an arbitrary value of 60 or 90 meters, would the answer change? Why don't you try that out.
Well, depending on the distance, the time would vary. I mean, 10m is different from 1000m. But I think that the ratio of time would stay the same, regardless of the situation, right ?

astrololo said:
Well, depending on the distance, the time would vary. I mean, 10 is different from 1000. But I think that the ratio of time would stay the same, regardless of the situation, right ?

The times fixed in this case. So irrelevant of distance the time is the same. Did you try those two arbitrary distances?

Student100 said:
The times fixed in this case. So irrelevant of distance the time is the same. Did you try those two arbitrary distances?
I got s= 1 m/s and 1/3 m/s for distance 10 m.
s=10 m/s and 3,33333... m/s for distance 100m.

Not sure if this is what you're asking for...

astrololo said:

If you had did 60 and 90 you'd get easier stuff to work with. :P

Anyway, now what can we assume about the velocity? Is there an acceleration or is it constant? And what you can you say about the difference between just the escalator and the escalator and walking? Is it possible to determine walking speed and then find the time?

astrololo said:

You already have the answer, you just need to see it.

Student100 said:
If you had did 60 and 90 you'd get easier stuff to work with. :P

Anyway, now what can we assume about the velocity? Is there an acceleration or is it constant? And what you can you say about the difference between just the escalator and the escalator and walking? Is it possible to determine walking speed and then find the time?
Well, I get 2 m/s and 3 m/s for 30 seconds only. (This is the speed of the elevator, so the elevator is constant) I get 6 m/s and 9 m/s for 10 seconds. The difference is 6 - 2 = 4 m/s (This is the speed of walking of the person)
9-3=6 m/s

astrololo said:
Well, I get 2 m/s and 3 m/s for 30 seconds only. (This is the speed of the elevator, so the elevator is constant) I get 6 m/s and 9 m/s for 10 seconds. The difference is 6 - 2 = 4 m/s (This is the speed of walking of the person)
9-6=6 m/s

Okay, now how do you find the time from the 4m/s or 6m/s?

Student100 said:
Okay, now how do you find the time from the 4m/s or 6m/s?
Oh so the time is 15 seconds. So from my understanding, whether he walks at 4 m/s or 6 m/s, it takes him 15 seconds to climb the stairs of the non working elevator ?

astrololo said:
Oh so the time is 15 seconds. So from my understanding, whether he walks at 4 m/s or 6 m/s, it takes him 15 seconds to climb the stairs of the non working elevator ?

Yep, no matter the distance, the time is invariable that he takes to walk up the broken escalator. Some distances produce silly physical results (walking at incredible velocities), but that's the basis of this problem.

Now you can answer the next problem relatively easily.

Student100 said:
Yep, no matter the distance, the time is invariable. Some distances produce silly physical results, but that's the basis of this problem.

Now you can answer the next problem relatively easily.
So, the answer to the next problem would be no I can't guess the "Real" distance because there's no information indicating an exact distance for the elevator ? (We assumed distances to solve the problem)

astrololo said:
So, the answer to the next problem would be no I can't guess the "Real" distance because there's no information indicating an exact distance for the elevator ? (We assumed distances to solve the problem)

Basically, it's impossible to know the distance from the information given. A longer distance implies that the escalator and his walking is at faster velocity, since the time doesn't change.

Does this all make sense to you? Do you see the importance of not trying to plug things into equations immediately and looking at the physical aspect of the problem?

Student100 said:
Basically, it's impossible to know the distance from the information given. A longer distance implies that the escalator and his walking is at faster velocity, since the time doesn't change.
Yes, that's right. There's no information for the distance. And also, liek you said, to keep the time the same, we need to make the datas grow. Thank you very much for your time and patience !

Likes Student100
Student100 said:

Does this all make sense to you? Do you see the importance of not trying to plug things into equations immediately and looking at the physical aspect of the problem?
Yes. What I think I should have done is trying some random distances for the escalator. I was sure that there was no way of guessing the distance from just the time, so I should have been intelligent in trying different distances to see where it would lead. After that, I would have understood more the situation.

Likes Student100
astrololo said:
Yes. What I think I should have done is trying some random distances for the escalator. I was sure that there was no way of guessing the distance from just the time, so I should have been intelligent in trying different distances to see where it would lead. After that, I would have understood more the situation.

It's always difficult to learn the heuristics, but once you do you'll find these kinds of problems a lot easier. :smile: Good job.

Student100 said:
It's always difficult to learn the heuristics, but once you do you'll find these kinds of problems a lot easier. :smile: Good job.
One last point. My main problem is that I'm learning in a school context. So if I see that I take too much time I go ask the questions directly. I know that I could stare at the problem for days trying different approaches and methods for solving it, but I can't do that because you know, I have a sandglass that it's in my head lol

astrololo said:
One last point. My main problem is that I'm learning in a school context. So if I see that I take too much time I go ask the questions directly. I know that I could stare at the problem for days trying different approaches and methods for solving it, but I can't do that because you know, I have a sandglass that it's in my head lol

That's fine as long as the people you're asking are guiding you to the solution, not just giving it to you. Keep posting here, people will more or less help you arrive at the solution yourself. The whole point of these problems is to help you develop techniques and problem solving ideas so that when you become a researcher or engineer and encounter a new problem you have tools to search for a solution.

I always found it best to skip over problems I didn't know and knock out those that I did. That way I'm left with a few problems from the problem set and days to think about them. So if you're stuck, just finish what you can and those problems you have trouble with really think about them in detail.

I'm sure you'll do fine, good luck!

Likes astrololo
Just so the OP sees what the "classical" solution looks like:
Let L = length of escalator
Let Ve = velocity of escalator
Let Vw = velocity of walking
Let Vew = velocity of escalator and walking
Let T = unknown time of only walking up broken escalator
velocity = distance/time
Ve = L/30
Vew = L/10
Vw = L/T
Vew = Ve + Vw
L/10 = L/30 + L/T
T = 15 seconds
and clearly the answer is independent of L.

Likes astrololo

1. How much time does it take to go up one floor?

The amount of time it takes to go up one floor depends on various factors such as the height of the floor, the speed of the elevator or stairs, and the physical abilities of the person. On average, it takes about 15-20 seconds to climb one floor using stairs and 30-45 seconds to go up one floor using an elevator.

2. Is it better to take the stairs or the elevator?

It depends on the individual's physical abilities and the specific situation. Taking the stairs is generally considered a healthier option as it involves physical activity, whereas the elevator is more convenient for those with mobility issues or when carrying heavy items.

3. How can I save time when going up one floor?

One way to save time is by choosing the fastest route, which may be taking the elevator if it is available and not too crowded. Another way is to use the stairs for short distances instead of waiting for the elevator.

4. Does taking the stairs have any health benefits?

Yes, taking the stairs is a form of physical activity that can improve cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and overall fitness. It can also help burn calories and maintain a healthy weight.

5. Can I use technology to save time when going up one floor?

Yes, some buildings have implemented technology such as express elevators that can take you directly to the desired floor without stopping on other floors. Some buildings also have smart elevators that use algorithms to optimize elevator usage and reduce waiting time.