• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding time to go up one floor

• Thread starter astrololo
  • Start date

Student100

Education Advisor
Gold Member
One last point. My main problem is that I'm learning in a school context. So if I see that I take too much time I go ask the questions directly. I know that I could stare at the problem for days trying different approachs and methods for solving it, but I can't do that because you know, I have a sandglass that it's in my head lol
That's fine as long as the people you're asking are guiding you to the solution, not just giving it to you. Keep posting here, people will more or less help you arrive at the solution yourself. The whole point of these problems is to help you develop techniques and problem solving ideas so that when you become a researcher or engineer and encounter a new problem you have tools to search for a solution.

I always found it best to skip over problems I didn't know and knock out those that I did. That way I'm left with a few problems from the problem set and days to think about them. So if you're stuck, just finish what you can and those problems you have trouble with really think about them in detail.

I'm sure you'll do fine, good luck!

Just so the OP sees what the "classical" solution looks like:
Let L = length of escalator
Let Ve = velocity of escalator
Let Vw = velocity of walking
Let Vew = velocity of escalator and walking
Let T = unknown time of only walking up broken escalator
velocity = distance/time
Ve = L/30
Vew = L/10
Vw = L/T
Vew = Ve + Vw
L/10 = L/30 + L/T
T = 15 seconds
and clearly the answer is independent of L.