Solving Quadratic Equation: Find the Time

In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula x-xo= Vo t + 1/2 at^2 to solve for the time (t) in a 2D motion scenario. The speaker used the quadratic formula and obtained two solutions for t, one positive and one negative. The group then discusses which t is the correct time, with the consensus being that the positive t is the correct one. However, the speaker also mentions that in certain cases both solutions can be correct, depending on the specific scenario being considered.
intenzxboi
k so i used
x-xo= Vo t + 1/2 at^2

plugged in all my values
then moved everything to one side and used the quadratic formula

here is my question.

when i solve for it i get
t=40.28 and t= 40.58

So which t is my time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Er.. well, you seem to not have included the actual question?

lets just use imaginary numbers

if u solve for t and get one + and one - answer u know time can't be negative if you are traveling forward.. so the answer is the + one

but what if your t comes out to be both + and you are going foward with -acceleration

This isn't something that has a general rule - sometimes both of them can be the correct time and other times there's some condition that rules the other one out.

Looking at your equation now it's the one used for 2D motion.. Taking that as an example, if you're considering a projectile and get two times it should be because the object is actually at the same horizontal position twice - once when going up and once when going down. It depends on what you want to calculate, in that case.

Probably this is no help, but I honestly can't do much more. Sorry ;/

I actually got it... had to think about it for a while..
my guess is that its the lower time because that's when the object gets there first...
the second time is when v=0 and the -acc. is making it go backwards so it goes back past the same position

right?

Yeah, if you're considering something that's thrown straight up into the air that would be the case, I'd say.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second-degree polynomial equation and has the form of a parabola when graphed.

Why is it important to solve quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used to solve various real-life problems, such as finding the time it takes for an object to fall to the ground or determining the maximum profit of a business. They are also essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How can I solve a quadratic equation?

There are multiple methods to solve a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you use will depend on the form of the equation and personal preference. It is important to remember to always check your solutions by plugging them back into the equation.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula is derived from completing the square and can be used to find the solutions for any quadratic equation.

How do I find the time in a quadratic equation?

To find the time in a quadratic equation, you must first identify what the variables represent. The variable t usually represents time, and the other variables represent distance, velocity, or acceleration. Once you have identified the variables, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for the time, given the other known values.