1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding torque

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    A bicycle wheel, of radius 0.330 m and mass 2.00 kg (concentrated on the rim), is rotating at 4.12 rev/s. After 48.0 s the wheel comes to a stop because of friction. What is the magnitude of the average torque due to frictional forces?

First I did
    I = (1/2)(mr^2) = (1/2)(2kg)(0.330^2 m) = 0.1089 kg m^2

Then i used the equation
    Torque = I*alpha = (I)(omega)/(time)
    =((0.1089 kg m^2)(4.12 rev/s x 2pi rad/rev))/(48 s)
    =0.0587 N m

however i am getting this question wrong. what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2
    just a quick thought that your methods seem to be assuming that the torque force is changing linearly with respect to time. My quick thought says that probably isn't right (usually fiction effects are thought to be proportional to velocity, and probably that isn't linear with respect to time. Does this help you think about the problem differently?

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3
    sorry, i still don't get it.
    i don't know where else i would put time in

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try using I as mr^2, not mr^2/2. The rotational Inertia of a thin hoop is mr^2, which is the case here since all the mass is concentrated along the rim..

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5
    thank you so much! i got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?