Finding torque

Homework Statement

What is the torque τB about axis B due to the force F⃗ ? (B is the point at Cartesian coordinates (0,b), located a distance b from the origin along the y axis.)
Express the torque about axis B in terms of F, θ, ϕ, π, and/or other given coordinate data.
1011154B.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
τ = RF sin (θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the answer is Tb = bFsin (pi/2+θ)
What I don't understand is how to get pi/2+θ?
I know that θ is the angle between r vector and F vector and since that's the case shouldn't the answer be pi/2-θ?

Attachments

• 1011154B.jpg
    1011154B.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 942

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Can you please show us your own effort? What did you get?

Can you please show us your own effort? What did you get?
Well I thought the answer was Tb = bFsin (pi/2-θ) but that's obviously wrong. I would like to know why. My homework says that alpha is the angle between r vector and F vector therefore I thought that it would be pi/2-θ.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The angle ##\alpha## is drawn in the figure. Note that the vector ##\vec r## is the vector from the point relative to which you want to know the torque to the point where the force acts. In this case the vector from B to A.

Edit: Also note that, since what matters is the component of ##\vec F## perpendicular to ##\vec r##, it does not matter if you use ##\alpha## or ##\pi - \alpha## since
$$
\sin(\pi - \alpha) = \sin(\pi)\cos(\alpha) - \cos(\pi)\sin(\alpha) = 0 + \sin(\alpha) = \sin(\alpha).
$$
It holds that
$$
\sin(\pi/2 - \theta) = \sin(\pi/2)\cos(\theta) - \sin(\theta)\cos(\pi/2) = \cos(\theta)\sin(\pi/2)
= \cos(\theta)\sin(\pi/2) + \sin(\theta)\cos(\pi/2) = \sin(\pi/2 + \theta).
$$