1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Total Air Time

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An arrow is straight up into the air at 20m/s what is the total airtime of the arrow

2. Relevant equations

i dont know what formula to use but i tried
    F=MG
    3. The attempt at a solution
    F=Mg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    You need to look through the relevant equations for these kinds of problems and see what is applicable given the knowns in the question:

v = u + at

s = ut + 1/2at^2

s = vt - 1/2at^2

s =1/2(u + v)t

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

You are given the initial velocity (u) of the arrow, and you know (a) = 9.81 m/s^2

If something was thrown up in the air, what would happen to it eventually just before it starts to come down, what would its velocity (v) be then?

Also take in to consideration the sign (+ or -) of gravity.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    so do i get time first ? from v = u = at

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    v = u + at

What are you trying to solve for? Think of it conceptually, if an object is thrown up in to the air, the total time up in the air is the time it spent going up and the time it spent coming down.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    so i just find the time its going up and double it to make it going up and down

the problem is idk what formula 2 use

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook