Finding total energy when 3 point charges are far away

In summary, two protons and an alpha particle at rest at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length 8.50×10^-10 m will have a total energy that is the sum of their potential energies when they are far apart. This can be calculated by finding the potential energy of each individual charge and then adding them together. The alpha particle has a charge that is twice that of a proton. When the particles move infinitely far away, their total energy will still be present in the form of kinetic energy due to inertia.
THA
The question and detail:
Two protons and an alpha particle are held at rest at the corners of an equilateral triangle whose side length is 8.50×10^-10 m. The particles are released and move apart. What is their total energy when they are far apart? Use 1.60×10^-19 C for the magnitude of the charge on an electron.

I setup the problem using energy conservation: K_a + U_a = K_b + U_b:

K_a = total kinetic energy of the 3 charges when they're at rest
U_a = total potential energy of the 3 charges when they're at rest
K_b = total kinetic energy of the 3 charges when they're far apart
U_b = total potential energy of the 3 charges when they're far apart

K_a = 0 since the charges don't initially move
U_b = 0 when they're far away (when they're infinitely far away)

That leaves: U_a = K_b
where U_a = 3*(k*q_1*q_2)/r so
K_b = 3*(k*q_1*q_2)/r
and the answer I got was 3 * (8.9*10^9 * (1.6*10^-19)^2)/(8.50×10^-10) = 8.04*10^-19 which is incorrect.
Am I on the right track solving the problem? What am I overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error was assuming that you simply triple the amount of energy of a single pair of charges.

Do it this way: place the first proton in empty space, how much work to do it? none, since no other charges are pushing it away.

Bring in the second proton. HOw much work? THe same amount that is equal to the potential energy when they are in place: (kq^2)/r

Now, when the alpha is brought in, it is being pushed away by two charges that are already there. The spot that the third charge (the alpha) goes into has a potential (voltage) that is the algebraic (not vector) sum of the potentials provided by the two protons in place. use the equation V=kq/r twice, once for each proton, to find the potential for that spot, then multiply the charge of the alpha to the potential to find potential energy. Add this to the potential energy of the two protons you already had for total energy.

since q_2 = 2(q_1), total energy is (5kq^2)/r

Let me see if I get this right, the potential to place the first proton is 0 so the work or potential energy required is 0.

The potential to place the second proton, due to the first proton, is (k*q)/r and the potential energy is (k*q^2)/r.

The potential to place the alpha particle is the sum of the potentials of both protons, (k*q)/r + (k*q)/r or 2(k*q)/r and the potential energy required is: q_alpha * 2(k*q)/r.

And the total energy is the sum of the potential energy of the system? 0 + (k*q^2)/r + q_alpha * 2(k*q)/r
Am I also correct that the alpha also has charge 1.6*10^-19? What about when the particles move very far away (towards infinity), would the total energy be 0?

The alpha particle has two protons and two nutrons, so its charge is twice that of the proton. Otherwise, your summary is correct.

When the particles move to "infinity," we assume that no other object has interfered with them, and all the total energy is still there in the form of KE. Inertia rules!

1. How do I find the total energy when 3 point charges are far away?

The total energy can be calculated using the formula U = k(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q2q3/r23), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1, q2, and q3 are the charges of the point charges, and r12, r13, and r23 are the distances between them.

2. Can I use the same formula for any distance between the point charges?

Yes, the formula U = k(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q2q3/r23) can be used for any distance between the point charges. However, it is most accurate for far distances where the charges are considered to be point charges.

3. What is the unit of measurement for total energy?

The unit of measurement for total energy is joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How do I know which charge is considered q1, q2, or q3 in the formula?

The order of the charges in the formula does not matter, as long as you are consistent with the distances. For example, if r12 is the distance between q1 and q2, then r13 would be the distance between q1 and q3, and r23 would be the distance between q2 and q3.

5. Is there a simpler formula for finding total energy when 3 point charges are far away?

No, the formula U = k(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q2q3/r23) is the most simplified and accurate formula for finding total energy when 3 point charges are far away. However, it can be modified for specific scenarios, such as when the charges are arranged in a line or a triangle.