1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding total internal energy

1. Sep 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a monatomic gas held at a constant pressure of P = 1.48-atm, it also has a molar mass M = 16-g/mol and density ρ =1.9 × 10-3-g·cm-3. Find the total internal energy of 1-mol of this gas.

2. Relevant equations
    U = Q + W
    E = nCvT
    PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried E = 3/2nRdT but I am unsure as to how I could use molar mass and density to find anything that can be subbed in to the equations. I tried dividing M and ρ cm-3/mol but i'm not sure were to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF
    What does "d" stand for here?

OK. Watch the units, they're not quite correct here. With the units corrected, what useful information is this giving you?

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3
    The d is for delta. As in delta T change in temperature. When dividing M and ρ it seems as though grams cancels out and you're left with 1/cm-3*mol. If i instead divide ρ by M we are left with cm-3*mol which is V x n. I don't see where this can be put into the formula though, is there a formula i'm missing?

5. Sep 24, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you want to use a temperature change? Are you trying to determine a change in energy?

OK. Note the negative power on cm. What would the units look like if you rewrote it with the cm part in the numerator?

6. Sep 24, 2016 #5
    Have you considered using the ideal gas law to get the temperature? From the ideal gas law, how is mass density ##\rho## related to P, M, R, and T?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted