Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations

• Thread starter 1question
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement suggests that the kip/ft at a given point along the horizontal axis is less than 1.5kip/ft, and that the location of the center of gravity of a right triangle is unknown.
1question

Homework Statement

Number 1-5 from here http://www.slideshare.net/hotman1991/met-302-chapter-01

How do I deal with the 1.5 kip/ft? Am I right to think that the smaller arrows to the left mean that the kip/ft there is less than 1.5kip/ft? How can I find kip/ft at a given point along the horizontal axis?
* I know that the answers are given, however I do not understand it.

Homework Equations

Possibly A = 1/2(b*h) = 1/2(12)(1.5) = 9 kips

EDIT: I also found the same 9kip/ft through ∫(1.5x/12)dx from 0 to 12.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers use area to get total (?) kips. I sort of understand why they would do that, something like integrating from 0-12 ft. However, I do not understand how they found 9kips at 4ft from B, or why they put the 9 kips there at 4ft.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The triangularly distributed load is 0 kip/ft on the left side and 1.5 kip/ft on the right side.

The total load is not 9 kip/ft, it's 9 kips, period.

What is the location of the center of gravity of a right triangle?

SteamKing said:
The triangularly distributed load is 0 kip/ft on the left side and 1.5 kip/ft on the right side.

The total load is not 9 kip/ft, it's 9 kips, period.

What is the location of the center of gravity of a right triangle?

Yes, sorry about the units mix up.

Ah, I see what you mean. So we take it as if the 9 kips is at the center of gravity... Do we ignore the vertical part of the center of gravity? The answer seems to do so (both equations and equations don't take it into account).

The load is along the length of the beam. You are confusing the graphical representation of a distributed load with how the load is actually distributed. In other words, the vertical component doesn't exist.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
The load is along the length of the beam. You are confusing the graphical representation of a distributed load with how the load is actually distributed. In other words, the vertical component doesn't exist.

Whoops. Thanks for reminding me. I appreciate all of your help.

1. What is "Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations"?

"Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations" is a resource that provides answers and explanations to homework problems related to the topics of kinematics and forces. It is designed to assist students in understanding and solving these types of problems.

2. How can "Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations" help me with my homework?

This resource can help you by providing step-by-step solutions and explanations to homework problems, allowing you to understand the concepts better and improve your problem-solving skills. It can also serve as a reference for future assignments or exams.

3. Are the solutions and explanations in "Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations" reliable?

Yes, the solutions and explanations in this resource are created by experienced scientists and are thoroughly checked for accuracy. However, it is always recommended to double-check your work and not solely rely on external resources.

4. Is "Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations" suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, this resource is suitable for students at all levels, from high school to university. It covers the fundamental concepts of kinematics and forces and provides solutions to problems ranging from basic to advanced.

5. Can "Finding Kip/Ft: Homework Solutions & Explanations" be used for subjects other than kinematics and forces?

No, this resource is specifically designed for kinematics and forces problems. However, the concepts and problem-solving strategies demonstrated can be applied to other subjects in physics.