How Are Transformer Turns Calculated Using Voltage Measurements?

• Thread starter encoder007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the nameplate on a 50 kVA transformer shows a primary voltage of 480 V and a secondary voltage of 120 V. Using a test with 3 turns of wire and a voltmeter, it was determined that the 120 V winding has 245 turns and the 480 V winding has 980 turns. This was done by applying 76 V to the 120 V winding and measuring the voltage across the 3-turn winding. The ratio of voltages was then used to calculate the number of turns on each winding.
encoder007
Question: The nameplate on a 50 kVA transformer shows a primary voltage of 480 V and a secondary voltage of 120 V.We wish to determine the approximate number of turns on the primary and secondary windings. Toward this end, three turns of wire are wound around the external winding, and a voltmeter is connected across the 3-turn coil. A voltage of 76 V is then applied to the 120 V winding, and the voltage across the 3-turn winding is found to be 0.93 V. How many turns are there on the 480 V and 120 V windings (approximately)?

Answer: With 76 volts applied, the constant is 0.93v/3T = 0.31 V/T. Correcting that for 120 volts instead of 76, that becomes (0.31 V/T)(120/76) = 0.489 V/T.So the 120 volt winding has 120 V / 0.489 V/T = 245 turns the 480 would have 4 times as many or 980 turns.

Thats the answer what my teacher gave me but i don't understand it,if that's right can anyone explain me in detail. Or Should it not be like this when i tryed to solve it:

The worked out ratio is 0.31 V/T
Primary turn = 1548 turns for 480 V
Secondary turn = 387 turns for 120 V

Please any suggetions and explanations will be helpful.Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi encoder007! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The answers you get would be correct had the test been performed with 120V applied to the 120V winding. But that wasn't so. Only 76V was applied, so you have to scale up the measurement of volts/turn to what would apply when using 120V.

For future questions, note that the forum for homework help is the homework subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:
This problem seems a bit bizzarre. The only way the computations make sense is if the 3 turns of wire saw the same transformer flux as the transformer's own primary and secondary windings. But these are obvioulsy not accessible from outside the transformer.

What does "3 turns of wire are wound around the external winding" mean? What external winding?

I guess the three turns were wound on top of the windings; outside the insulations. It would work that way.

I did it like this...

The 120V winding has an unknown number of turns = X.

During the test the ratio of the voltages = ratio of turns eg...

76/0.93 = X/3

Rearrange to give..

X = 3 * 76/0.93 = 245

So the 120V winding has 245 turns.

The 480V winding has an unknown numbe of turns Y:

480/120 = Y/245

Y = 245 * 480/120 = 980

So the 480V winding has 980 turns.

1. What is the purpose of finding transformer turns?

Finding transformer turns helps determine the voltage ratio of a transformer, which is essential for ensuring proper power distribution in electrical systems.

2. How do you calculate the number of turns in a transformer?

The number of turns in a transformer can be calculated by dividing the secondary voltage by the primary voltage, or by multiplying the number of turns on the primary side by the voltage ratio.

3. What factors affect the number of turns in a transformer?

The main factors that affect the number of turns in a transformer are the voltage ratio, the core material and design, and the frequency of the electrical system.

4. What are some methods for finding transformer turns?

One method is to measure the voltage ratio of the transformer using a multimeter or other voltage measuring device. Another method is to use the transformer's nameplate data, which typically includes the number of turns on both the primary and secondary sides.

5. What are the consequences of inaccurate transformer turns?

Inaccurate transformer turns can lead to improper power distribution, which can result in equipment damage, power outages, or even electrical hazards. It is important to ensure the correct number of turns in a transformer to maintain a safe and reliable electrical system.