How can I find the transition matrix from bases a to r?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a transition matrix from one basis to another. The problem involves finding a transition matrix from basis a to basis r, with the given equations for b and r. The individual attempts at solving the problem involve writing r in terms of a and representing the equations in matrix form. The conversation also includes a suggestion to study vectors, matrices, and matrix multiplication in order to better understand the problem.
concon

Homework Statement

let a= {a1, a2, a3, a4}
and b={b1,...,b4}
and r = {r1,...,r4}

Also,
b1 = 4a1
b2 = 8a1 + 7a2
b3 = 4a1 + 4a2 + 4a3
b4 = 9a1 + 5a2 + 8a3 + 5a4

and

r1 = 3b4
r2= 4b3 + 6b4
r3 = 9b2 + 3b3 + 9b4
r4 = 6b1 + 5b2 + 3b3 + 5b4

Find transition matrix from basis a to r.

Homework Equations

To find transition matrix I know you make matrix with on one side one basis and the other side the other basis and turn one of them into the identity matrix.
Hard to visually represent this equation, but hopefully you know what I mean.

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally these problems are really easy in class with bases like {(1,2), (2,1)}
I have no idea how to solve this one.
thus far I have but r in terms of a:

r1 = 27a1 + 15a2 + 24a3 + 15a4
r2 = 70a1 + 46a2 + 64a3 + 30a4
r3 = 165a1 + 120a2 + 84a3 + 45a4
r4 = 121a1 + 72a2 + 40a3 + 25a4

What do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
concon said:

Homework Statement

let a= {a1, a2, a3, a4}
and b={b1,...,b4}
and r = {r1,...,r4}

Also,
b1 = 4a1
b2 = 8a1 + 7a2
b3 = 4a1 + 4a2 + 4a3
b4 = 9a1 + 5a2 + 8a3 + 5a4

and

r1 = 3b4
r2= 4b3 + 6b4
r3 = 9b2 + 3b3 + 9b4
r4 = 6b1 + 5b2 + 3b3 + 5b4

Find transition matrix from basis a to r.

Homework Equations

To find transition matrix I know you make matrix with on one side one basis and the other side the other basis and turn one of them into the identity matrix.
Hard to visually represent this equation, but hopefully you know what I mean.

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally these problems are really easy in class with bases like {(1,2), (2,1)}
I have no idea how to solve this one.
thus far I have but r in terms of a:

r1 = 27a1 + 15a2 + 24a3 + 15a4
r2 = 70a1 + 46a2 + 64a3 + 30a4
r3 = 165a1 + 120a2 + 84a3 + 45a4
r4 = 121a1 + 72a2 + 40a3 + 25a4

What do I do from here?

You've done it; now just write these equations in matrix form. That is, fill in the blanks in
[tex] \pmatrix{r_1\\r_2\\r_3\\r_4} =
\pmatrix{* & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * }
\pmatrix{a_1 \\a_2 \\a_3 \\a_4}[/tex]

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You've done it; now just write these equations in matrix form. That is, fill in the blanks in
[tex] \pmatrix{r_1\\r_2\\r_3\\r_4} =
\pmatrix{* & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * \\ * & * & * & * }
\pmatrix{a_1 \\a_2 \\a_3 \\a_4}[/tex]

Okay, I still don't understand. Do I put the coefficients of r and a and solve for whatever is in the matrix of *?

What are the coefficients of a? All ones? I'm confused

concon said:
Okay, I still don't understand. Do I put the coefficients of r and a and solve for whatever is in the matrix of *?

What are the coefficients of a? All ones? I'm confused

It sounds like you are saying that you do not understand vectors, matrices and matrix multiplication. You need to go to the library and take and read out a book on the subject; it is much too lengthy to be presented in a help forum. You can also try on-line notes and tutorials on the subject.

Please note: I am NOT trying to insult you; it really does sound to me as though you do not have the background to tackle the question.

Ray Vickson said:
It sounds like you are saying that you do not understand vectors, matrices and matrix multiplication. You need to go to the library and take and read out a book on the subject; it is much too lengthy to be presented in a help forum. You can also try on-line notes and tutorials on the subject.

Please note: I am NOT trying to insult you; it really does sound to me as though you do not have the background to tackle the question.
no i get that the matrix with the astrisk's should contain the coefficients of r. What are the components of the matrix with a1 through a4?

Ray Vickson said:

Wait hold on I think I just realized how to solve this problem. You can get one transition matrix from another transition matrix by taking the inverse right? So can I just take inverse of the matrix with the asterisks?

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to model the probability of transitioning from one state to another in a system. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and physics to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

How is a transition matrix calculated?

A transition matrix is calculated by dividing the number of transitions from one state to another by the total number of transitions in the system. This results in a square matrix with each element representing the probability of transitioning from one state to another.

What are some real-world applications of transition matrices?

Transition matrices are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and social sciences. They can be used to model stock market fluctuations, population growth, and the spread of diseases, among other things.

What is the difference between a transition matrix and a Markov chain?

A Markov chain is a specific type of stochastic process that uses a transition matrix to model the probability of transitioning from one state to another. In other words, a Markov chain is a system that follows a transition matrix to determine its future behavior.

What are the limitations of using transition matrices?

Transition matrices are based on the assumption that the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another remain constant over time. This may not always hold true in real-world systems, and thus, the predictions made using transition matrices may not always be accurate.