1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Uncertainties

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the density p and its uncertainty [tex]\Delta[/tex]p showing all working

Mass M (kg)

[tex]\Delta{M}[/tex] (kg)
    ?

Diameter D (m)

[tex]\Delta{D}[/tex] (m)
    ?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho=MV[/tex]
    [tex]p= \frac{6M}{\Pi{D}^3}[/tex]
    [tex]Z=\frac{A^2B}{3C^{0.5}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\Delta{Z}}{Z}=\frac{2\Delta{A}}{A}+\frac{\Delta{B}}{B}+(1/2)\frac{\Delta{C}}{C}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to use [tex]p= \frac{6M}{\Pi{D}^3}[/tex] but i don't think this is the equation to get the answer.
    To find [tex]\Delta{p}[/tex], I don't understand how i can find [tex]\Delta{p}[/tex] if i do not have [tex]\Delta{m}[/tex] and [tex]\Delta{D}[/tex](which i don't understand how to get) from the equation:

[tex]\frac{\Delta{p}}{p}=\frac{\Delta{m}}{m}+\frac{\Delta{D}}{D}[/tex]

Hope someone can help me
    P.S Paymemoney

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2
    You are indeed in a pickle. I've never seen an uncertainty analysis like this.

Do you know the resolution of the measuring devices? The resolution is the "smallest marking
    " on your measuring device. For example: Most rulers have 1/16th of an inch as the smallest mark, therefore the resolution would be 1/16th of an inch.

Once you know that, you should be able to preform a uncertainty analysis using the Kline and McClintock method.

An example can be found http://lyle.smu.edu/me/2142/uncert/uncert.htm"

I feel like this will not answer your question because I've never seen a uncertainty method like this.

Taking a compete stab in the dark, and making quite a few assumptions.

I assume that since kg is measured to .0103, that these are all significant digits and that the resolution is .0001 kg. Therefore, the zeroth-order uncertainty is .0001/2 kg = .00005kg.

Similarly for the diameter. .014, all significant. The uncertainty1 is .001 m. The Zeroth-Order uncertainty is .001m/2=.0005m

See Attachment
    Uncert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook