1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding unit cell dimensions of iron or copper

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The research notes from an x-ray diffraction experiment were damaged and information was lost. The wavelength of the x-rays used in the experiment, and measurements of the three smallest Bragg angles (θ) from the sample were all that remained: they were 0.71Å, 10.1°, 14.4°, 17.7°. Using this information determine whether the samples was iron or copper, giving the steps in your reasoning.

2. Relevant equations
    Bragg's Law: ##n \lambda = 2 d \sin \theta##.
    Distance between planes in a lattice structure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the distance between the Miller planes is, for a cubic unit cell, ##d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2 + l^2}}##. Using Bragg's Law, I can calculate the value of d given the angle and the wavelength. Since for each angle, I attain a different value for d, I take it then that the angles in question are the angles that the incident xray radiation make with 3 different families of planes. (e.g for angle 10.1, we have an intensity maximum (at n = 1) for a family of planes at some spacing d, for 14.4, this corresponds to another intensity maximum (at n=1) to another family of planes with a different spacing d.) At least, that is how I interpret the fact that the three angles give a different d.

If all three angles gave the same interplanar spacing, then (I think) I could conclude that the three angles correspond to the three smallest orders of intensity maxima for one family of planes. (e.g 10.1 for n =1, 14.4 for n =2 etc..). Are these correct interpretations?

I am not sure how to use what I have above to determine the unit cell dimensions. I know given a d, I can relate this to h,k,l and then I thought, since I was given three angles and three unknowns (h,k,l) I could solve, but when I tried this, I ended up with a contradiction.

Many thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted