Calculating Normal Vectors for Particle Motion

In summary: Calculating N is a bit more complicated than just multiplying T by a, as the direction of the component of acceleration vector, a, can be in any direction. There are a few ways to do it, but the easiest way would be to use a vector dot product.
BennyT

Homework Statement

[/B]
This problem is from Jon Rogawski's Calculus-Early Transcendentals
At a certain moment, a moving particle has velocity v={2,2,-1} and a={0,4,3}. Find T, N and the decomposition of a into tangential and normal components.

Homework Equations

ANYTHING IN [ ] REPRESENTS A LENGTH OF A QUANTITY and . stands for dot product
T[/B](t)=v(t)/[v(t)]
N(t)=T '(t)/[T '(t)]
an=√([a]^2-at^2)
at=a.T
an=a.N=√([a]^2-at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm trying to find an, the normal component of acceleration, but by using the two definitions and equations found in the book I am coming to different values. So I first calculated T={2/3,2/3,-1/3}, and then N={0,4/5,3/5}. Then I calculated at=5/3 and then I calculated an by the first equation (an=√([a]^2-at^2)) to equal an=(10/3)(√2), but using the second equation I get an=5. What am I doing wrong? And also, do T and N always have to be orthogonal? This isn't a graded assignment or anything, but it's causing me frustration. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be assuming that the acceleration vector is itself normal to the tangent vector. That is not necessarily true because you are not told that the acceleration is constant.

Ok, so is this reply in response to whether T and N are always orthogonal? Also, for a problem such as the one above, what is the best way to calculate N? Thank you for your response.

BennyT said:
Ok, so is this reply in response to whether T and N are always orthogonal? Also, for a problem such as the one above, what is the best way to calculate N? Thank you for your response.
I'm sure it wasn't about whether they are orthogonal. They definitely are.

Vector T is in the direction of motion, you did that correctly.

Vector N is perpendicular to vector T, and is in the plane of the particle's motion. Basically it's in direction of the component of acceleration vector, a, that's perpendicular to vector T .

1. What is a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector is a vector with a length of 1 that is perpendicular to a given surface or curve at a specific point. It is often used in mathematics and physics to describe the orientation of a surface or direction of motion.

2. Why do we need to find unit normal vectors?

Finding unit normal vectors allows us to calculate the direction of a surface or motion, which can help us solve equations and analyze physical systems. It is also important in computer graphics and geometry for creating realistic 3D models.

3. How do you find a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector can be found by taking the gradient of a function or curve at a given point and then normalizing the resulting vector. In simpler terms, you can find the normal vector by taking the partial derivatives of the function and then dividing them by the magnitude of the vector.

4. Can there be multiple unit normal vectors for a given surface?

No, there can only be one unit normal vector for a given surface at a specific point. However, there can be multiple normal vectors at different points on the surface.

5. How are unit normal vectors used in physics?

In physics, unit normal vectors are used to describe the direction of forces, such as the force of gravity or electromagnetic force. They are also used in calculating the flux of a vector field and determining the direction of motion in systems.