Finding Unknown Side - Get Help Solving Now

• MHB
  • Thread starter 8008jsmith8008
  • Start date
In summary, the process for finding an unknown side involves using mathematical formulas and measurements, while the necessary tools may vary depending on the shape or object being measured. Finding unknown sides is important for accurately describing dimensions and has applications in various fields. Common challenges include measurement errors and incorrect information, and alternative methods such as trigonometry and scale drawings are available but may not always be suitable.
8008jsmith8008
Hi all,

I have a problem that I'm having a really difficult time solving. View attachment 7901

I've tried break the shape into right triangles and solving for the hypotenuse but that gets me nowhere. I tried solving for angles but I still can't get anywhere. I feel like I need more information. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 52
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi jsmith, welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Indeed, we have insufficient information.
If the angle were given, we could find those unknowns.
With an angle of, say, $45^\circ$, the groove would need to be 100 μm wide to be 100 μm deep.

What is the process for finding an unknown side?

The process for finding an unknown side depends on the type of shape or object being measured. In general, it involves using various mathematical formulas and measurements to determine the missing side length.

What tools are needed for finding an unknown side?

The tools needed for finding an unknown side will also vary depending on the shape or object being measured. Some common tools include rulers, protractors, calculators, and measuring tapes.

What is the importance of finding unknown sides?

Finding unknown sides is important for accurately measuring and describing the dimensions of objects or shapes. This information is crucial in fields such as engineering, construction, and architecture.

What are some common challenges when finding unknown sides?

Some common challenges when finding unknown sides include incorrect measurements, incomplete or incorrect information, and using incorrect formulas or equations.

Are there any alternative methods for finding unknown sides?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding unknown sides, such as using trigonometric functions or creating scale drawings. However, these methods may not always be applicable or accurate for every situation.