1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Vector Equation

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vector equation with parameter T that passes through the point (6,0,1) and is perpendicular to the plane x+4y+6z = 5

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i'm looking for the direction numbers n (a,b,c) for whatever direction is perpendicular to the plane given x+4y+6z = 5

What if I try to take the dot product of i+4j+6k with xi+yj+zk and solve for when it equals zero. The problem with doing that is there are more than one possible answers that solve that. Also since x+4y+6z = 5 is the linear equation of a plane i'm not even sure i'm thinking about this right at all X_x

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One direction vector for the line is <1, 4, 6>, which I got by inspection. A normal to the plane Ax + By + Cz = D is the vector <A, B, C>. Once you know the direction of a line and a point on it, it's straightforward to get the equation of the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted