1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding vector length

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

The question asks to express vector C in terms of A, B, and theta.

2. Relevant equations

I would guess the relevant equations to be trig equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found sin[(180-theta)/2] = k/B (k is a variable I set to equal the right bisected part of C when the angle c was divided in two). Also, sin[(180-theta)/2]= j/A.

c= 180 - theta. After that however, I don't know how to incorporate theta without using phi. Can you assume that a line stretching from the angle to to make a right angle with vector C bisects the angle into two equal angles? That was how I attempted to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think you are letting your trigonometry get ahead of your vector addition.

I would suggest developing equations for the x and y components of A and B that would serve to yield C.

For simplicity I might suggest letting C lie along the x-axis. Then you know the y-components of the A and B vectors must sum to 0 and the x will sum to C.

From those equations then look to eliminate any functions of the angle ϕ and leave things in terms of θ.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?