1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding vectors and magnitude

1. Jun 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a vector in the direction opposite to <-4,1,2>, that has a magnitude of 3.

2. Relevant equations
    I think that I did the first part of the problem correctly:
    <-4,1,2>
    magnitude= sqrt[ (-4)^2+1^2+2^2 ]
    = sqrt(16+1+4)
    = sqrt(21)
    (-4/sqrt(21), 1/sqrt(21), 2/sqrt(21) )
    to get the opposite direction, I would just change the signs
    (4/sqrt(21), -1/sqrt(21), -2/sqrt(21) )

But I am confused at where to go from here. What does it mean "that has a magnitude of 3"? I may have approached this problem incorrectly. Any help would be great. Thank you for stopping by.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You have found a normal vector. The magnitude of a normal vector is ##1##.

Perhaps the answer is more trivial than it first appears, just think:

$$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2} = 3$$

Select a vector ##<a, b, c>## such that the above is satisfied. Multiplying the original vector by ##-1## will help. In fact, one is the loneliest one, and the only one you'll ever need for this problem.

4. Jun 9, 2015 #3
    As Zondrina has pointed out, you have correctly determined a unit vector in the desired direction. Now, what do you need to multiply this unit vector by to produce a vector having the same direction, but with a magnitude of 3?

Chet

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4
    Ah, okay. I think that I was making this problem more difficult than it actual is. Thank you so much for the help!

6. Jun 10, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Removed "Calc III" from thread title -- this is really a precalc type of problem. Also moved thread to the precalc forum section.

7. Jun 23, 2015 #6
    How is this a pre-calc problem if I'm in calc 3 and this is the first time that I've dealt with this? Did my university just not cover this? Or am I behind?

8. Jun 23, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Vectors in R2 and R3 are often covered in precalculus with trig courses.

9. Jun 23, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No limits, no derivatives, no integrals = no calculus.

Your calc 3 course may simply be providing a refresher on basic vector math before jumping into vector calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted