1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding vectors orthogonal to the span of a matrix

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My linear algebra is rusty. So to go from a reduced QR factorization to a complete QR factorization (ie the factorization of an over determined matrix) one has to add m-n additional orthogonal vectors to Q. I am unsure on how to find these.

If it is extending a 3x2 to a 3x3 I know I can take the cross product of the first two columns etc. but I am unsure of a process to do this in a general case.

It seems like one possibility would be to look at the null space of the orthogonal projector onto the range of A (the pseudo inverse is it called)? But that seems time consuming. It there a quick method to find a vector orthogonal to a set of orthonormal vectors? Thanks y'all!!

***edit
    Or, I just realized, guess I could find the nullspace of the transpose of A. Is there a particular approach anybody would suggest?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?