Finding velocity as a function of position, constant acceleration

• Thread starter crowned
  • Start date
This isn't actually a homework question, it's for a vehicle safety project at work, but I think it fits in this forum.

Homework Statement

A truck is traveling down the road at 60 mph, and begins to decelerate at a rate of 0.8 g.

I'd like to find the total distance it takes the truck to stop, and come up with a formula for the velocity as a function of displacement from the original braking point.

Homework Equations

I think that the relevant equation is v2 = 2a(s2-s1)+v12

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know the truck is traveling at 88 fps, and slowing at a rate of 0.8 * 32fps2, so it will take

88 fps / (32.2 fps2 * 0.8 g) * 44 fps = 150 feet to stop

But when I plug those numbers into the above equation, I get

v2 = (2 * (0.8 * 32.2 * 60 / 88) * (-x) + (60)2)0.5

That has the right y-intercept (65 mph), but the wrong x-intercept, around 104'

If I change the "2" on the right side of the equation to 1.38, it looks right, but I can't work out why it would be 1.38 instead of two.

Argh! Any help much appreciated!

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
The time it takes a truck to stop is v/a. The average speed during this time is v/2. So the distance travelled when the truck stops is [tex]s = v^2/2a[/tex]
And, if the truck is still travelling at speed v1, then we have:
[tex]s_1 = (v^2-v_1^2)/2a[/tex]
Where a is the magnitude of the deceleration and v is the initial speed.

Last edited:
The time it takes a truck to stop is v/a. The average speed during this time is v/2. So the distance travelled when the truck stops is [tex]s = v^2/2a[/tex]
And, if the truck is still travelling at speed v1, then we have:
Where a is the magnitude of the deceleration and v is the initial speed.

Thanks for your response. However, I understand that part already--what I'm trying to work out is the equation for velocity as a function of position.

Last edited:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
You mean you understood all that but yet you couldn't rearrange the equation for yourself:

[tex]v_1^2 = v^2 - 2as_1[/tex]
[tex]v_1 = \sqrt{v^2 - 2as_1}[/tex]

Hi--thanks for the response. Well, I worked my way to the final equation you posted (it matches up to the final equation in my original post--may not have been clear, I didn't realize I could write in LaTeX). The problem is that I calculate a stopping distance of 150' by using average speed * time, but a "displacement when velocity equals zero" of 120' when I use the last of the equations you just posted.

Maybe I'm doing something else wrong? Here's the equation I'm using, with variables.

[tex]v_1 = \sqrt{(65mph)^2 - 2(0.8 g \cdot 32.2fps^2 \cdot 60mph/80fps) \cdot x}[/tex]

Last edited:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Are you trying to find speed as a function of position, or initial speed as a function of total stopping distance?

Are you trying to find speed as a function of position, or initial speed as a function of total stopping distance?

Speed as a function of position. I'd like to know how fast the truck is going at a given displacement.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
You need all your quantities expressed in the same units: fps. Do that before you plug anything into your equation.

You need all your quantities expressed in the same units: fps. Do that before you plug anything into your equation.

Well, everything is expressed in mph.

Oh my gosh, how did that work!

Expressed in fps, it works fine.

y-intercept 88 fps, x intercept 150'

So to change the y axis to mph, I just multiply the right side of the equation by 60mph/88fps, right?

Sheesh, didn't see that one coming.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
1 mph = 5280/3600 fps = 88/60 fps, so yes.

Thanks so much for your help on this. Graphs are coming out perfectly.