Finding voltage and impedance

In summary, the conversation discusses a past year question about finding the voltage and impedance using a given power supply voltage and current. The power supply voltage is E=10e^(jπ/4) [V] and the current is I1=2e^(jπ/4) [A]. It is mentioned that the magnitude of current I2 is equal to I1, but its phase is π/2 slower. The question asks for the voltage V and impedance Z, with the request for the work to be shown. The response confirms that the work looks fine and asks for checking on a few more works.
MissP.25_5
Hi again. I just want to make sure I got the answers correct since this is a past year question (received from a senior), I don't have the answers.

Power supply voltage E=10e^(jπ/4) [V]; Current I1=2e^(jπ/4) [A].
The magnitude of current I2 is equals to current I1, but its phase is π/2 slower than I1.
1) Find the voltage V.
2)Find impedance Z.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
MissP.25_5 said:
Hi again. I just want to make sure I got the answers correct since this is a past year question (received from a senior), I don't have the answers.

The magnitude of current I2 is equals to current I1, but its phase is π/2 slower than I1.
1) Find the voltage V.
2)Find impedance Z.

Show your work.

MissP.25_5 said:

1) Find the voltage V.
2)Find impedance Z.

Yep. Your work looks fine.

gneill said:
Yep. Your work looks fine.

Thanks!I am posting a couple more works that I've done. I hope you don't mind checking.

Hello! It's great that you are double-checking your answers to previous questions. Let's work through these together to make sure you have the correct solutions.

1) To find the voltage V, we can use Ohm's Law which states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In this case, we are given the current I1 and we can find the impedance Z from the second part of the question. So, V = I1 * Z. Using the given values, we get V = 2e^(jπ/4) * Z. We can also write this in polar form as V = 2∠π/4 * Z. To solve for Z, we can divide both sides by 2 and take the inverse of the complex exponential, giving us Z = V/2∠π/4. Plugging in the given voltage E, we get Z = (10e^(jπ/4))/2∠π/4. Simplifying this, we get Z = 5e^(jπ/4).

2) To find the impedance Z, we can use Ohm's Law again, but this time we have both the voltage E and current I2. So, Z = E/I2. Plugging in the given values, we get Z = (10e^(jπ/4))/(2e^(jπ/4) * e^(jπ/2)). Simplifying this, we get Z = (10e^(jπ/4))/(2e^(3π/4)). We can then use the properties of complex exponential to simplify this further, giving us Z = (5/√2)e^(jπ/4). This is the impedance in polar form. To convert it to rectangular form, we multiply the magnitude by cos(π/4) and sin(π/4) for the real and imaginary parts respectively. So, Z = (5/√2) * (cos(π/4) + jsin(π/4)). Simplifying this, we get Z = (5/√2)(√2/2 + j√2/2). Finally, we get Z = 5/2 + j5/2.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. It's always good to double-check and make sure we have the correct solutions.

What is voltage and impedance?

Voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is often referred to as the "pressure" or "force" that drives the flow of electricity. Impedance, on the other hand, is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It takes into account both resistance and reactance.

How do you find voltage and impedance in a circuit?

To find voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) equals the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). So, V = IR. As for impedance, it can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

What is the difference between voltage and impedance?

The main difference between voltage and impedance is that voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts (V), while impedance is measured in ohms (Ω).

Why is it important to find voltage and impedance in a circuit?

Finding voltage and impedance in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand how electricity is flowing and how much resistance it is facing. This information is crucial in troubleshooting and designing circuits, as well as ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.

What factors can affect voltage and impedance in a circuit?

There are several factors that can affect voltage and impedance in a circuit. These include the type and quality of components used, the length and thickness of the wires, the temperature, and the frequency of the electrical signal. In addition, external factors such as environmental conditions and interference can also impact voltage and impedance.