1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Voltage Gain.

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    2222-10.png
    3333-3.png

can someone please tell me how did they derive with the above equation?

my point of view:
    Vgs = Vin
    Vds = Vout

so how did they even get Vgs = Vds?

below shows the Small signal circuit:
    2222-11.png

might be a stupid question to ask. but i am really confuse on when to look at the original circuit, when to look at the AC circuit, when do i remove the load, etc.

Thanks for helping and sorry for asking such a simple question here.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're using capital letters, so I don't think they're talking about the small signal values, but rather the DC bias values. It's been a while since I've looked at MOSFETS in detail, but assuming that the transistor is biased in such a way that it will conduct, then

VDS = VDD - IDRD

makes perfect sense, because current flows from drain to source across the drain resistor, so the voltage at the drain will be the supply voltage minus the voltage drop across the drain resistor.

The voltage at the gate is equal to the voltage at the drain, because the two are electrically connected by RG. Since no current flows across RG, there is no potential difference across it. So, it's as though the two terminals are connected by a wire.

As far as I can tell, it's as simple as that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook