1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume of arch dam

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is number 4 at this link: http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/calculus_early/2e/students/downloads/mws6a.pdf

The axis of revolution is 150 and the rotation is 150 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

Using the shell method.

My offset is x+220.

The equations that make up the cross section:

[tex].03x^2+7.1x+350[/tex]

[tex]-6.593x+389[/tex]

[tex]389[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I planned on splitting the cross section into three parts, which are the 2 triangles and rectangles, and apply the shell method on each of these. So first I did [tex]2pi*Integral[(x+220)(.03x^2+7.1x+350)][/tex] with the bounds being -70 to -16. Then I multiplied this answer by (150/360) since it's only 150 degree rotation. In each of my applications of the shell method, the p(x), or the distance to the axis of revolution stayed at x+220. Am I on the right track if I do this for each of the 3 sections?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Sentral! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm not sure what you're doing (what's 220? :confused:) …

the shell method involves finding the volume of the arc-shaped slice (it will be 150/360 of the volume of a complete cylinder) from x to x + dx …

it will be something times dx …

and then integrating. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook