• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding wave wquations for photons

• Thread starter jb646
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Use the relativistic expression for energy E^2=p^2c^2+(m_0)^2(c)^4 to find a wave equations for photons. Find a solution for ψ and compare to the electric field (hint: photons are massless, E_op=ih(d/dt) and p_op=h/i(d/dx)

Homework Equations

the only equations i know are the ones given in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

if somebody could please point me in the right direction, i do not have the mental power to understand what i should even try to do first. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Photons are quanta of fields, it doesn't really work the way your problem suggests.

The differential equation for the quantized electromagnetic field is obtained by applying a canonical quantization* to the classical electrodynamic equation for the one-forms describing the field at a classical level.

* very tricky issue.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Use the relativistic expression for energy E^2=p^2c^2+(m_0)^2(c)^4 to find a wave equations for photons. Find a solution for ψ and compare to the electric field (hint: photons are massless, E_op=ih(d/dt) and p_op=h/i(d/dx)

Homework Equations

the only equations i know are the ones given in the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

if somebody could please point me in the right direction, i do not have the mental power to understand what i should even try to do first. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Okay, if E_op=ih(d/dt), then what would E_op2 be?

Photons are quanta of fields, it doesn't really work the way your problem suggests.

The differential equation for the quantized electromagnetic field is obtained by applying a canonical quantization* to the classical electrodynamic equation for the one-forms describing the field at a classical level.

* very tricky issue.
I fail to see how that is helpful.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I fail to see how that is helpful.
The problem is wrong. The photon has no wave equation. The electric field has a field equation, but in the classical sense, as it can be deduced from Maxwell's equations (for simplicity, in vacuum).