Finding weight of a mass on an accelerating and braking elavator

In summary, Zach's weight before the elevator starts braking is 78 kg. His weight while the elevator is braking is 1032.525 kg.
alexas

Homework Statement

Zach, whose mass is 78 kg, is in an elevator descending at 11 m/s. The elevator takes 3.2 s to brake to a stop at the first floor.

What is Zach's weight before the elevator starts braking?

What is Zach's weight while the elevator is braking?

Homework Equations

F = mg

F = ma ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking...

F = mg

So F = (78kg)*(11m/s) ?

The second question i was completely clueless on...
but an idea of mine was...
F = ma

a = (11m/s)/(3.2s) = 3.4375 m/(s^2)

F = (78kg)(3.4475) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexas said:

Homework Statement

Zach, whose mass is 78 kg, is in an elevator descending at 11 m/s. The elevator takes 3.2 s to brake to a stop at the first floor.

What is Zach's weight while the elevator is braking?

Homework Equations

F = mg

F = ma ??

I was thinking...

F = mg

So F = (78kg)*(11m/s) ?

F = ma

F = (78kg)(3.4475) ?

Your final idea gave you the right acceleration (deceleration) for the elevator, but not the force that some scales would measure.

What about his original weight standing still or moving at constant velocity? It's not m*v as you've shown in part a)

alexas said:
I was thinking...

F = mg

So F = (78kg)*(11m/s) ?

uhh? :confused:
F = ma

F = (78kg)(3.4475) ?

if the braking deceleration was 0, would the weight be 0? :wink:

Try drawing a free body diagram to see the forces involved. That will make your life simpler.

I figure for the first question that if the speed is constant that accleration is zero so it would simply just be mass*gravity.

But for the second one since i need to factor in the deceleration i was thinking
(9.8 + 3.4375)*(78kg)
Is this correct?

alexas said:
I figure for the first question that if the speed is constant that accleration is zero so it would simply just be mass*gravity.

But for the second one since i need to factor in the deceleration i was thinking
(9.8 + 3.4375)*(78kg)
Is this correct?

That is correct.

I don't get it. I type in the answer and it says i have a rounding error. lolll

My final answer was: 1032.525

it tells me "Express your answer using two significant figures."

So 1032.52 or 1032.53 neither one works.

alexas said:
it tells me "Express your answer using two significant figures."

So 1032.52 or 1032.53 neither one works.

erm :redface: … that's six sig figs! :wink:

Yeah they wanted the answer as 1000, :P

Thanks for the help everyone.

1. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the weight of a mass?

The weight of a mass on an accelerating elevator will change due to the force of acceleration acting on the mass. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, the weight will increase, and if the elevator is accelerating downwards, the weight will decrease.

2. Does the weight of a mass on an accelerating elevator change at a constant rate?

No, the weight of a mass on an accelerating elevator changes at an increasing or decreasing rate depending on the acceleration of the elevator. The weight change is directly proportional to the acceleration of the elevator.

3. How does the weight of a mass on a braking elevator compare to the weight on a stationary elevator?

The weight of a mass on a braking elevator will be greater than the weight on a stationary elevator. This is because the sudden decrease in velocity causes a decrease in the upward force of the elevator, resulting in a greater downward force and therefore an increase in weight.

4. Will the weight of a mass on an accelerating elevator be the same for all masses?

No, the weight of a mass on an accelerating elevator will vary based on the mass of the object. This is because the force of acceleration acts on the mass, so a heavier mass will experience a greater weight change than a lighter mass.

5. How can the weight of a mass on an accelerating and braking elevator be calculated?

The weight of a mass on an accelerating and braking elevator can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force of the mass, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. To find the weight, simply multiply the mass by the acceleration of the elevator.