Finding Work and Power in a Traffic Junction

• Thread starter herbgriffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Work
In summary, a car with a mass of 2 tons and an initial speed of 45 kmph approaches a traffic junction. The driver accelerates the car uniformly and crosses just before the light turns red, with a frictional resistance of 0.6 kN/ton. The power imparted by the engine at that instant is 82.9 kW. Additional kinematic equations may be needed to accurately calculate the velocity and power.
herbgriffin

Homework Statement

A car of 2 ton mass traveling at 45 kmph approaches a traffic junction. When the car is 100m before the signal, the driver realizes that the green light is about to turn into red in 6 seconds and hence, he accelerates the car uniformly and crosses just before the light turns red. If the frictional resistance is 0.6 kN/ton, determine the power imparted by the engine at that instant.
Answer: 82.9 kW

Homework Equations

P= W/t ; W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 45 kmph = 12.5 m/s
V= 100m/6sec =16.67 m/s
and i find the acceleration by the formula of V^2= Vi^2+2ax
and i use the formula of summation of forces horizontal : -Ff + F = ma
Ff= (0.6kN/ton)(2ton) = 1.2kN
and when i find F i substitute it to the formula of power F*100m , but my answer is wrong...please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation for the velocity would be fine if the car was moving at a constant speed. Then, covering 100m in 6 seconds would yield an accurate value for the velocity. In this case, the car has an initial velocity and is accelerating. Do you have another kinematic equation in your repertoire that relates distance covered with initial velocity, acceleration, and time?

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy to an object by applying a force over a distance. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work.

3. How are work and power related?

Work and power are directly related. The more work that is done in a given amount of time, the higher the power. This means that a higher power output requires more work to be done in a shorter amount of time.

4. How can I calculate work and power in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, work and power can be calculated by measuring the force applied and the distance the object moves. Power can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes to do a certain amount of work. In some cases, other factors such as efficiency and friction may need to be taken into account.

5. How can I increase my work and power output?

To increase work and power output, you can increase the force applied or the distance the object moves. Additionally, you can decrease the time it takes to do the work. This can be achieved through training, using tools and equipment, and improving technique and efficiency.