Finding x and y components

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    I've been stuck on this problem for too long and need help. Please explain the answer if possible.

F1 has a magnitude of 8.80 n and is directed at an angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex]= 65.0 above the negative x axis in the second quadrant. F2 has a magnitude of 6.40 N and is directed at an angle of [tex]\beta[/tex] = 53.3 below the negative x axis in the third quadrant.

What is the x component Fx of the resultant force?

What is the y component Fy of the resultant force?

What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

What is the angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] that the resultant force forms with the negative x axis? In this problem, assume that positive angles are measured clockwise from the negative x axis.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What have you attempted?

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    i tried making them into triangles and then using the lengths as the force. then i figured out the upward force and minused the downard force to find the total vertical force but it isn't right

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Maybe if you calculated the x,y components of the vectors it would be a little easier?

6. Jan 27, 2009 #5
    how do you go about doing that?

7. Jan 27, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

8. Jan 27, 2009 #7
    That's what I did previously and then then i found the difference in the two and it was incorrect

9. Jan 27, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I can't see your effort, so you should check that you have the correct sign of the x components when you add them and the y components.

After you have added them then you use what Pythagoras taught.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?