Finding x and y components

1. I've been stuck on this problem for too long and need help. Please explain the answer if possible.

F1 has a magnitude of 8.80 n and is directed at an angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex]= 65.0 above the negative x axis in the second quadrant. F2 has a magnitude of 6.40 N and is directed at an angle of [tex]\beta[/tex] = 53.3 below the negative x axis in the third quadrant.

What is the x component Fx of the resultant force?

What is the y component Fy of the resultant force?

What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

What is the angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] that the resultant force forms with the negative x axis? In this problem, assume that positive angles are measured clockwise from the negative x axis.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What have you attempted?

4. i tried making them into triangles and then using the lengths as the force. then i figured out the upward force and minused the downard force to find the total vertical force but it isn't right

5. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

Maybe if you calculated the x,y components of the vectors it would be a little easier?

6. how do you go about doing that?

7. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

8. That's what I did previously and then then i found the difference in the two and it was incorrect

9. LowlyPion

LowlyPion 5,328
    Homework Helper

I can't see your effort, so you should check that you have the correct sign of the x components when you add them and the y components.

After you have added them then you use what Pythagoras taught.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?