1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding x for an equation

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    So how would I find the x value when y = 2.2 ?

y=2.2

Y=x^3-5x+6

Thanks. I'm on mobile can't use latex

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well plug in y= 2.2 and get 2.2 = x^3-5x+6. You will need to solve using a numerical method most likely.

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3
    I got x^3-5x+3.8=0 but I don't know what to do next.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4
    Anyone?

6. Sep 3, 2011 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What methods for root finding have you learnt? (i.e. what methods for finding 'x' do you know about? Simple algebra, Newton-Raphson method, etc.)

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6
    -3.8 = x(x**2 - 5)

See if you can stumble upon a haphazard number x that satisfies this eqn ( EG: 1 is very near and satisfactory )

then divide the original eqn by (x- xhaphazard )

Obtain second degree Polynomial where x1,2 =( (-b + sqrt(b**2-4ac)) / 2a and the other root where the sign before sqrt term is a negative )

Good luck.

8. Sep 3, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I am not sure I would call it "very close. However, Crossfit415, you can use that to get a better solution: if x= 0, [itex]x^3-5x+3.8= 3.8[/itex] and if x= 1, itex]x^3-5x+3.8= -.2[/itex]. one valule is positive and the other negative so the function must be 0 between them- that means there must be a root between 0 and 1. .5 is halfway between and [itex](.5)^3- 5(.5)+ 3.8= 1.425. That is positive so there must be a root half way between .5 and 1. Halfway between those is .75. (.75)^3- 5(.75)+ 3.8= 0.471875. Again, that is positive so there must be a root between .75 and 1. Halfway between those is 0.875, etc. Carry that out to whatever accuracy you want and, as stallionx says, divide the polynomial by x- a to get a quadratic equation for the other two roots.

You might suspect, right from the start, that since -.2 is much closer to 0 than 3.8, the root should be closer to 1 than to 0. That's correct and a little faster numerical method would be the "method of secants". Instead of picking exactly half way between possible x values, we calculate the equation of the line between the given points. The line between (0, 3.8) and (1, -.2) is y= -4x+ 3.8. That will be 0 when x= 3.8/4= 0.95. Faster "convergence" to the correct solution but more calculation required at each step.

"Newton's method", replacing the curve by a tangent line at each step, would be even faster but requires Calculus.

9. Sep 3, 2011 #8

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You could multiply both sides by 5 and perform the rational root test. If that fails though, iterative methods like previous posters have mentioned is the best way to go.

10. Sep 3, 2011 #9

uart

Science Advisor

Since it's already a depressed cubic you can transform it into a quadratic (in z^3) with the substitution:

[tex]x = z + \frac{5}{3z}[/tex]

However it requires a bit of complex arithmetic and you need to take all three branches of the complex cubed root to get all three (in this case real) solutions.

11. Sep 3, 2011 #10
    Once you find one root by means of be it Newton-Raphson or a computer program, the other 2 are ready to be found by the means I tried to describe above.

12. Sep 5, 2011 #11

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Just as there is a formula for solving a quadratic (x=-b +/- sqrt(b2-4ac) etc...) then there is also a formula for solving a cubic. It does look a bit formidable at first glance, but will simplify in your case because your coefficient of x2 is zero.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook