Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding xyz coords of

1. Nov 23, 2003 #1
    Finding xyz coords of....

Given: ABC is an isosceles triangle; AB=BC; A(x,y,z); B(x',y',z'); m<ABC=m

I need, based on this information, a way to get the xyz coordinates of C. It's for a computer program I'm writing, and I'm afraid I'm rather unknowlegable about how to solve this type of problem- could someone please give me (an) equation(s) for this? The way those equation(s) work would be appreciated as well, but the equation(s) by themselves are all I really NEED.

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2003 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, given that you have expressed this in 3d space you will not be able to find a unique point which completes your triangle. There will be infinitely many triangles, each laying in a different plane.

I am not sure what your constriction
    m<ABC=m

means, could you elaborate on that?

4. Nov 23, 2003 #3
    Ah yes, such a silly mistake. I assumed I would need xyz coords since the program deals with 3d space, but the triangle is on a plane... I actually only require xy coords.

And by m<ABC=m I meant "measure of angle ABC = m". Since I am unaware of the way to type a proper angle symbol, I used < :P.

5. Nov 24, 2003 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if angle B has measure m, then the other two angles have measure 90-m/2. Does that help?

(Also, B must lie on the perpendicular bisector of AC)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?