1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding y' by implicit differentiation SO HARD FOR ME! help~

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    Find dy/dx by implicit differentiation. (Meaning find the derivative of y.. so y' = ??)

cos(x-y)=xe^x

Please help and show step by step..
    the final answer should be..

y' = 1 + [(e^x)(1+x)]/[sin(x+y)]

Thanks a bunch. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know that the LHS is a function of "x" and the RHS is a function of "x" as well,then the equality A=B implies A'=B' (the equality of derivatives wrt to "x").So differentiate both sides of the eq.wrt to "x":
    [tex] -[\sin(x-y)](1-\frac{dy}{dx})=e^{x}+xe^{x}\Rightarrow\frac{dy}{dx}-1=\frac{e^{x}(x+1)}{\sin(x-y)}\Rightarrow\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{e^{x}(x+1)}{\sin(x-y)}+1 [/tex]
    ,which means that your answer was wrong.

Daniel.

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's just the chain rule. Since y is a function of x, the derivative of cos(x-y) is
    -sin(x-y) times the derivative of x-y, with respect to x. Of course, the derivative of x is 1. We don't know y as a function of x so we can only write its derivative as y':
    (cos(x-y))'= -sin(x-y)(1- y').

The derivative of xex is (by the product rule) ex+ xex = ex(1+ x) so we have

-sin(x-y)(1- y')= ex(1+ x).

Now solve for y'.

5. Jan 3, 2005 #4
    Oh, Thanks. I did it so that , cos(x-y) = cosx/cosy, so i did : (-cosysinx + cosxsinyy')/(cos^2 y). Is that a valid method of doing that?

6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who were you responding to? Neither dexercioby nor I had "cos(x-y)" in our formulas.

And where did you get "cos(x-y)= cos(x)/cos(y)" from?

7. Jan 4, 2005 #6
    I meant when i tried solving it, i put it so that cos(x-y) is simplified to cosx/cosy, then i tried deriving that then solve the rest. I guess i did it wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Jan 4, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope for your sake that u are convinced that
    [tex] \cos(x-y)\neq \frac{\cos x}{\cos y} [/tex]
    ,but instead
    [tex] \cos(x-y)=\cos x\cos y+\sin x\sin y [/tex]

Daniel.

9. Jan 4, 2005 #8
    Oh thanks. I just looked up in the book and thats it! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?