1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding y prime (derivative)

1. Sep 28, 2004 #1
    What is the y prime of:
    A 15 foot board rests against a vertical wall. If the bottom of the board slides away from the wall at the rate of 3 feet per second, how fast is the area of the triangle formed by the board, the wall and the ground changing at the instant the bottom of the board is 9 feet from the wall?

I got this far:
    y= square root of (225 - x^2)

I'm stuck after this step.

Can the answer for this be [(-9 yprime /2) + 18] square feet per second.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2
    Hint x in terms of t. The displacement x away from the wall is equal to what in terms of t? It will be easy to then sub in this for x.

Area of a triangle is 1/2 * base * height
    Base is x height is sqrt(225-x^2) right?

so A = 1/2 * x * sqrt(225-x^2)

However you need to plug in t to this I just didn't want to give away that much work.

Differentiate with respect to t in the new equation you find using the product rule (gets a little messy). Since 3t = 9, t = 3 goes into this new derivative and bam you got your answer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2004
  4. Sep 28, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the question "what is the y prime of....?". If anything, the question seems to be asking for A'(t), where A is the area of the right triangle formed by the ladder, the wall, and the ground.

Draw a diagram, label the horizontal distance between the bottom of the ladder and wall x, and the corresponding vertical distance y

[itex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] = 3 ft/s

This is a related rates problem. A is a function of x, so given the rate at which x changes with time, you should be able to find the rate at which A changes with time using the functional relationship:

[tex] A = \frac{1}{2}xy = \frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{225 - x^2} [/tex]

You identified this relationship correctly! :smile:

Now, please relate the rates:

[tex] \frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{dA}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx}(x\sqrt{225 - x^2})(3 \text{ft/s}) [/tex]

Once you solve that, evaluate it at the value specified. I think that's right. It's kinda late here, so if any of this is bogus, please let me know.

EDIT: right, vsage, I forgot that you need x in terms of t.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?