Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Yourself

1. Oct 18, 2003 #1
    I guess this is one of those terms that is self defined. Everyone has thier own realization of what "finding yourself" means. Many seek it, some achieve it, and always it brings a sense of "inner peace" (aside from the inner peace you may have heard of in the generals forusms ).

Anyhow, I found myself- Or at least I think I did. To me, finding myself meant realizing what it is I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Oh sure, I've done a lot already, but I lacked direction, motivation, drive, goals that were larger that myself. To experience this "epiphany" as I like to call it, I had to go through a major life change. For me this meant moving far away from everyone and everything I'd ever known and starting fresh. I wish I could say I found enlightement on a moutain in tibet, but it was nothing so grandiose. So I guess my question is: Have you found yourself yet? Did you recognize it when you did for what it was? Did it take a major life change or other huge even to bring to that point, was it a tiny little thing that made you snap, or was it a gradual realization?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2003 #2
    I know where i am but i haven't found myself yet
  4. Oct 18, 2003 #3
    That sounds like a very noble pursuit.
  5. Oct 18, 2003 #4
    sorry, I should just erase the last part- didn't want to focus on that, just on "finding yourself". But to address your point, it's not for recognition, it's something I've wanted to do since I was 12. it's the realization of a lifelong dream. Also want to do cancer research, but we'll see. Nothing worthwhile in life is easy.
  6. Oct 18, 2003 #5
    It might help if you use a GPS?
  7. Oct 18, 2003 #6
    When you are everywhere, you do don't have to look far.
  8. Oct 18, 2003 #7

But explosions are painful!
  9. Oct 18, 2003 #8
    One of the more profound things I've heard was the saying

"wherever you go, well there you are"

It reeks of deterministic influences, but it's beauty is in the simplicity.
  10. Oct 19, 2003 #9
    There will be a day when the relative nature of this "It reeks of deterministic influences" fades away. It will not be with your death, but the realization of your life.
  11. Oct 19, 2003 #10
    I'll take it you don't agree with this statement
  12. Oct 19, 2003 #11
    It has a relative reality, there is something that happens when relativity fades to black.
  13. Oct 19, 2003 #12
    i think i've found myself a couple times. I think i also keep losing myself. Actually, i sort of have a fear of really permanently finding myself when i'm too young, so i think i've sort of been preventing myself from doing so.
  14. Oct 20, 2003 #13
    Finding yourself is nothing but discovery and knowledge. Never be afraid of the truth, always seek and embrace it. There's no "right age" to find yourself. Some are never lost, and others spend thier whole lives in pursuit of englightenment. Others never look to begin with.

Ironic though this may seem, I've never studied buddhism extensively, but I suspect I would find many of it's ideals (combined with taoism) to be right in line with my philosophies. I visited a Buddhist temple not too long ago. It was on the top of a small mountain. Just being there brought on a sense of serenity and peace that I cherish. That or it was the lack of oxygen:wink:
  15. Oct 20, 2003 #14
    It's meaning is relative to me. To others it may just be words on a screen signifying nothing. When I look back upon my life, I won't blame a god for my regrets in life, only revel in the path that brought me to that point.
  16. Oct 20, 2003 #15
    No one can ever blame god. Christian, buddist or any ist or ism. God makes no choices we do and we are part of the whole. The whole is still but the parts move and live by the rules of the universe known or unknown.
  17. Oct 20, 2003 #16
    I'm not a determinist by nature. I'm agnostical, which is why I won't hold any god responsible for my actions. I am the master of my destiny, and for better or worse, it is mine to live.
  18. Oct 20, 2003 #17
    There is a thing called original sin, there is also a think called gravity. When you figure out original sin you will know the nature of the universe or you will find yourself in a way out did not know you could maybe you have from the way you spoke.

When you find out what gravity is, what matter is made of, it will give you an unshakable resolve. If you have found yourself, then you now know you have the capacity to do so if you like.

Buddist, Taoist, christian, voodoo, american indian, etcc......

All the same.

Had to take a phyc course in college. There was a phrase "functional fixidness". It describes a trap that occurs for every human being that has ever existed.

Did not even Jesus say to the woman who was relentless. Would you have me feed the food of the children of isreal to dogs. She commented even dogs get the table scraps from the childrens table. In that Jesus was moved and learned. What moved what learned?

Be like water, be like the air. Be yourself and if yourself has to be something you have not yet found it.
  19. Oct 20, 2003 #18

Science Advisor

I thought I found myself once. It turned out to be somebody else. I took him to the lost and found, and he turned up to claim himself. I asked him if he'd seen me anywhere, but he said he hadn't.

20. Oct 20, 2003 #19
    OK so now I had to go look up functional fixation. It's not necessarily that I can't see the solution, it's that I can't determine the problem to solve for the solution. I may have found the answer, but it's the answer to the wrong question. That is the problem. We can answer a problem when it is presented to us, but we do not know the right questions to ask, so that it leads us to the answers we seeek. Apparrently it IS the question that drives us after all:wink:
  21. Oct 20, 2003 #20
    It is the question. It's all about the question and nothing more. It comes back to what I said to Zero once. Why did you drop the ball? It's about that and nothing more. It's a simple riddle with a simple answer. The heaveans will open and the universe will then put forth anthing which you ask it. It has no choice. As long as you keep your part. The mustard seed. This is it you know.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?