1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding z @ STP

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Beginning Calculations in Physical Chemistry
    Barry R. Johnson & Stephen K. Scott

Calculate the average number of collisions per second between [tex]N_{2}[/tex] and [tex]O_{2}[/tex] molecules in air @ 298K and @ a pressure of 1 X [tex]10^5[/tex] in a room of volume V = 100[tex]m^3[/tex]. (Assume air has the composition 0.8[tex]N_{2}[/tex] & 0.2[tex]O_{2}[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

I follow the solution in the text, however, do you need the given volume to calculate z?
    Can't it be calculated from z = [tex]\sigma[/tex] [tex]\overline{c}_{rel}[/tex] [tex]\eta[/tex] using p/kT?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

To get the collision density, n (collsions/ cm3-s), i.e. collisions per unit volume per second, one does not need the volume.

To get the total number of collisions/sec, N, in the room as called for in the problem, one needs N = nV, where V is the total volume.
  4. Sep 21, 2007 #3
    zzzzzz @ STP

Alrightee then. When I calculate z, I get an answer on the order of magnitude of [tex]10^9[/tex], and the book/authors get something on the order of [tex]10^38[/tex]. What is the descrepancy here?
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 22, 2007 #5
    ...will the real z @STP please stand up

z= [tex]\sigma_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] [tex]\overline{c}_{rel}[/tex] [tex]\eta[/tex]

I can't figure out how to make the above read sigma c rel eta. I keep getting the error above even though the syntax is the same as below

and [tex]\sigma_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] = 0.415[tex]nm^2[/tex]

[tex]\mu_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] = 14.93gs/mol

gives [tex]\overline{c}_{rel}[/tex] = 650m/s

[tex]\eta_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] = N/V =n[tex]N_a[/tex]/V = n[tex]N_a[/tex]p/nRT

and after canceling out Avogadro's number gives
    [tex]\eta_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] = p/kT

So z = (0.415 x [tex]10^{-18}[/tex])(650)(2.43 x [tex]10^{25}[/tex])
    z= 6.55 x [tex]10^9[/tex] sec-1

The authors get z = 2.55 x [tex]10^{36}[/tex] sec-1

They calculate [tex]Z__{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] = [tex]\sigma_{{N_2}{O_2}}[/tex] [tex]\overline{c}_{rel}[/tex] [tex]N_a{^2}[/tex] [[tex]N_2[/tex]][[tex]O_2[/tex]] = 2.55 x [tex]10^{34}[/tex] sec-1 m-3
    and multiply this value by the volume 100[tex]m^3[/tex] to get 2.55 x [tex]10^{36}[/tex] sec-1.

So where is my error?
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  7. Sep 24, 2007 #6
    z @ STP

I still can't figure out why there is such a large difference in the book's calculated value for z and my value. They do emphasize "total" collisions but this is because it is a mixture of gases.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?