1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding zeros

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    I haven't done this in ages, and I'm having trouble recalling how to factor a higher order polynomial. I almost always do this graphically, but for this case I'm interested in an algebraic solution. Specifically, I'm looking at ax + x^3 - x^5 = 0 (with a = an integer >0.)

Clearly 0 is one solution since x(a + x^2 - x^4) =0. Is there a way to solve for the 2 others? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    Generally i do not know how to find the roots of higher order polynomials myself, of an order n>=3. but in yor case it looks easy,because it is not of a complete form.
    like you said one trivial answer is x=0, the others will be the solutions to the equation
    a + x^2 - x^4=0, so u may want to take a substituton like this t=x^2, so you will end up with sth like this

a+t-4t^2=0, now you now how to solve this right?
    and after that just go back and find solutions for x.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The remaining polynomial is quadratic in x2. Therefore you can get x2=(1+-(1+4a)1/2)/2. I'm sure you can finish.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I hadn't thought to substitute. I got it.

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that it's a degree 5 polynomial, so you should have found 5 solutions.

There are formulas for cubic and quartic equations, but I don't think anyone knows them by heart (ok, maybe a few, but certainly very few people). For [itex]n \ge 5[/itex] general solutions do not even exist (I believe this can be proven using ring theory).

7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
    That's a bit of relief, i started feeling stupid for not being able to find general solutions for these higher order polynomials. For those of a degree of 3 i have seen some formulas, but havent actually tried to look closely what is going on. I am gonna have to have a look upon these things, cuz they come up sometimes in calculus one as well! And thnx, for enlightening me for polynomials of a degree of 5 or higher!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook