Solving Higher Order Polynomial: ax + x^3 - x^5 = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of factoring a higher order polynomial and the desire for an algebraic solution. The person suggests using a substitution to simplify the equation and solve for the remaining solutions. It is also mentioned that there are formulas for cubic and quartic equations, but not for polynomials of degree 5 or higher. The conversation ends with the realization that these higher order polynomials can be challenging to solve.
Peregrine
I haven't done this in ages, and I'm having trouble recalling how to factor a higher order polynomial. I almost always do this graphically, but for this case I'm interested in an algebraic solution. Specifically, I'm looking at ax + x^3 - x^5 = 0 (with a = an integer >0.)

Clearly 0 is one solution since x(a + x^2 - x^4) =0. Is there a way to solve for the 2 others? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Peregrine said:
I haven't done this in ages, and I'm having trouble recalling how to factor a higher order polynomial. I almost always do this graphically, but for this case I'm interested in an algebraic solution. Specifically, I'm looking at ax + x^3 - x^5 = 0 (with a = an integer >0.)

Clearly 0 is one solution since x(a + x^2 - x^4) =0. Is there a way to solve for the 2 others? Thanks.

Generally i do not know how to find the roots of higher order polynomials myself, of an order n>=3. but in yor case it looks easy,because it is not of a complete form.
like you said one trivial answer is x=0, the others will be the solutions to the equation
a + x^2 - x^4=0, so u may want to take a substituton like this t=x^2, so you will end up with sth like this

a+t-4t^2=0, now you now how to solve this right?
and after that just go back and find solutions for x.

The remaining polynomial is quadratic in x2. Therefore you can get x2=(1+-(1+4a)1/2)/2. I'm sure you can finish.

Thanks, I hadn't thought to substitute. I got it.

Note that it's a degree 5 polynomial, so you should have found 5 solutions.

sutupidmath said:
Generally i do not know how to find the roots of higher order polynomials myself, of an order n>=3.
There are formulas for cubic and quartic equations, but I don't think anyone knows them by heart (ok, maybe a few, but certainly very few people). For [itex]n \ge 5[/itex] general solutions do not even exist (I believe this can be proven using ring theory).

CompuChip said:
Note that it's a degree 5 polynomial, so you should have found 5 solutions.

There are formulas for cubic and quartic equations, but I don't think anyone knows them by heart (ok, maybe a few, but certainly very few people). For [itex]n \ge 5[/itex] general solutions do not even exist (I believe this can be proven using ring theory).

That's a bit of relief, i started feeling stupid for not being able to find general solutions for these higher order polynomials. For those of a degree of 3 i have seen some formulas, but haven't actually tried to look closely what is going on. I am going to have to have a look upon these things, because they come up sometimes in calculus one as well! And thnx, for enlightening me for polynomials of a degree of 5 or higher!

1. How do I solve higher order polynomials?

Solving higher order polynomials involves using algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division. In this specific equation, we can rearrange the terms to get x^5 - x^3 + ax = 0 and then factor out x^3 to get x^3(x^2 - 1 + a) = 0. This can be solved by setting each factor equal to zero and solving for x.

2. What is the degree of this polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable. In this equation, the highest exponent is 5, so the degree is 5.

3. Can this polynomial be solved using the quadratic formula?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used for polynomials of degree 2. This polynomial has a degree of 5, so other algebraic techniques must be used to solve it.

4. Are there any real solutions to this polynomial?

It depends on the value of a. If a is a real number, then there may be real solutions to the polynomial. If a is a complex number, then there may not be any real solutions.

5. How does the number of solutions for a higher order polynomial relate to its degree?

For a polynomial of degree n, there can be at most n solutions. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. However, some solutions may be complex numbers and not real numbers.