1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fine structure, hydrogen atom, principal quantum number 3

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The level n=3 for atoms with 1 electron have the states [itex]3s_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]3p_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]3p_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]3d_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]3d_{5/2}[/itex]. If we ignore the spin-orbit coupling these states are degenerated. Calculate the degeneration due to the the spin-orbit coupling for the levels 3p and 3d for the hydrogen atom.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]E_{n,j}=E_n \left [1+\frac{Z^2 \alpha ^2}{n} \left ( \frac{1}{j+1/2}-\frac{3}{4n} \right ) \right ][/itex]. I've found this formula in books and in wikipedia. My professor gave us a slightly different formula so I'm confused which one to use.
    His formula: [itex]E_{n,j}=E_n - \frac{Z^4 \alpha ^2}{n^3}E_0 \left ( \frac{2}{2j+1} -\frac{3}{4n} \right )[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reach, using the book/wikipedia formula that for the states with j=5/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -2.24 \times 10 ^{-6}eV[/itex].
    For the states with j=3/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -6.70 \times 10 ^{-6}eV[/itex].
    For the states with j=1/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -2.46 \times 10 ^{-5}eV[/itex].
    I have the feeling that my numbers are somehow wrong but I am not sure.
    Could someone confirm my results? I tried to check up these values in some book and on the Internet but I didn't find them.
    Thanks for any input!
    Edit: Hmm I think both formula are equivalent.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted