Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fine toplogy

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    Can anyone please help me with this because I'm really getting confused. Thanks!

In R, we know that fine topology is equivalent to the Euclidean topology as convex functions are continuous.

Now if instead of R we consider a subset of it say [0,1], the fine topology induced on [0,1] would it be equivalent to the Euclidean topology induced on [0,1] ?

Thanks once again

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

What do you mean by 'equivalent' topologies?

I am not familiar with the fine topology, but if by equivalent topologies you simply mean 'the same topology' (i.e. the same open set), then it is of course a tautology.

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3
    yes i mean the same topology.
    Convex functions on [0,1] are discontinuous at the boundaries so I don't understand how they generate the same topology as continuous functions.

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

Ah, so by 'induced on [0,1]' you don't mean the subspace topology. Could you define the fine topology for me? Is it the initial topology on X w.r.t. all convex functions X->R?

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    I am not sure if i understood you well (as I'm not very much familiar with topology)

What I am trying to ask is the following: convex functions on R generate the fine topology and convex functions on R are the continuous functions so obviosly they generate the same topology. But since on [0,1], convex functions are not continuous, can they generate the same topology?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook