IEC 60529 Definition of "Finger Safe" for Cylinders

In summary, according to IEC 60529, an "IP2X finger safe" device is one with a diameter of 12.5mm or greater and a contact gap of 6mm or greater. The device should not be powered up when not attached to the welder, and should only be used in situations where the user is completely unaware of the contact gap.
DTM
"Finger Safe"

I'm searching for a precise definition of "Finger Safe" according to IEC 60529 which defines
IP2X as "finger safe" for diameters > 12.5mm. Does thes mean a cylinder of > 12.5mm dia. an not touch the contact? Or is there a radius on the end of the cylinder? How long is the cylinder? Anyone have link to a drawing that better defines this 12.5mm "finger"

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

I remember way back when having to machine a "finger probe" and a "tool probe" to make UL happy. I searched and found that this place sells a variety of similar probes.
http://www.ergonomicsusa.com/

Thanks Mike. That site did have lots of finger probes but none of the specific IP rating I need to meet, IP2X from IEC 60529. Anyone else know of where I might find details of the IP2X finger?

Are you trying to make it finger safe for a one year-old?

I tried the Google search. Only found lots of products that say their "finger safe" or meet IP2X rating. Thanks for the link to the Amateur radio site, but no copy of IEC 60529 there either.

This application is for an industrial robot. The contacts are for high power welding. They shouldn't ever be powered up when the robot is not attached to the welder and the contacts are exposed, but just in case you don't want to accidently be able to touch it and most of our customers require the IP2X level of protection for safety. We have an approximately 6mm annulus gap, but it's not very deep. Anyone who tries can get at least the tip of their pinky in there. Now someone is going to say, how idiot proof does it need to be? The answer, as idiot proof as the IEC spec requires. That provides some legal protection from eventual lawsuits from said idiots.

Last edited:

What is the definition of "Finger Safe" for cylinders according to IEC 60529?

According to IEC 60529, "Finger Safe" refers to the protection of an individual's fingers from direct contact with hazardous parts of a cylinder, such as electrical components or moving parts.

Why is it important to consider "Finger Safe" design for cylinders?

It is important to consider "Finger Safe" design for cylinders to prevent potential injuries or accidents caused by direct contact with hazardous parts. This can also help to meet safety regulations and standards set by organizations such as IEC.

What are the requirements for a cylinder to be considered "Finger Safe" according to IEC 60529?

To be considered "Finger Safe" according to IEC 60529, a cylinder must have a maximum opening of 12mm and be able to withstand a force of 10N without allowing direct contact with hazardous parts.

Are there any exceptions to the "Finger Safe" requirements for cylinders?

Yes, there are exceptions to the "Finger Safe" requirements for cylinders, such as when the cylinder is operated by a trained professional or when the hazardous parts are inaccessible during normal use.

How can manufacturers ensure their cylinders meet the "Finger Safe" requirements according to IEC 60529?

Manufacturers can ensure their cylinders meet the "Finger Safe" requirements by conducting proper testing and certification processes, following design guidelines and standards, and providing clear warning labels and instructions for safe use.