Finished Floor Level (FFl): Measurement Explained

• Thread starter Hulah
  • Start date
In summary: Level has multiple meanings, two of them are:1. Square to up/down, like using a bubble level to get a picture level on the wall 2. Level in the sense of the names for floors, like ground level or basement level
Hulah
Homework Statement: Any civil engineer here? Hi, guys. I knew that finished floor level (ffl) was measured to the top of slab...bit, where does it measure from?
Homework Equations: No

From top of slab of floor below it? Or measured from sea level or any established datum?

<< Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the Homework forums to the ME forum >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are trying to determine if the slab is level, then a reference level other than the ground needs to be used for the ground floor slab; and, depending upon the required accuracy, this can be done with either a surveyor's theodolite; or, a taut string with an attached bubble level and marked corner located wooden stakes as a reference.

jim mcnamara said:
Usually is measured from ground level or the first floor. There are other considerations so please read the few paragraphs here:
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Finished_floor_level
So the ffl will be measured from surface level of ground floor after the tiles and screeding was done or before?

Unfinished, raw wood, no tiles. Please read the link I gave you it says explicitly what to do.

Likes berkeman
@JBA - this is where level == floor, not level in the little bubble in the glass tube sense. British I think.

jim mcnamara said:
- this is where level == floor, not level in the little bubble in the glass tube sense. British I think.
I don't understand that statement, please explain.

@JBA sorry. Level has multiple meanings, two of them are:
1. Square to up/down, like using a bubble level to get a picture level on the wall (your answer)
2. Level in the sense of the names for floors, like ground level or basement level (OP's question)

We are talking about the second meaning. And if you read the link you will see what is involved. It is interesting.

Likes berkeman
Now I understand.

1. What is Finished Floor Level (FFL)?

Finished Floor Level (FFL) is the vertical distance between the top surface of a finished floor and a fixed reference point, usually the ground level or the top of the foundation. It is an important measurement used in construction and building design to determine the height of a building or the level of a floor.

2. How is FFL measured?

FFL is measured using a leveling tool, such as a builder's level or a laser level, which is placed on the finished floor surface. The tool is then used to determine the height difference between the finished floor and the fixed reference point, usually by measuring the distance between the two points.

3. Why is FFL important in construction?

FFL is important in construction because it helps ensure that all floors in a building are level and at the correct height. This is crucial for safety, as uneven floors can lead to tripping hazards and structural issues. FFL also helps with the installation of doors, windows, and other building elements that require precise measurements.

4. How does FFL affect building codes and regulations?

Building codes and regulations often have specific requirements for FFL, such as minimum height requirements for floors and maximum height limits for buildings. These regulations help ensure that buildings are constructed safely and meet certain standards for accessibility and functionality.

5. Can FFL be changed after construction?

In some cases, FFL can be changed after construction, but it may require significant modifications to the building. This is why it is important to carefully plan and measure FFL during the design and construction phases of a building. Changes to FFL can also affect other building elements, such as stairs and elevators, so it is best to consult with a professional before making any modifications.