Finite abelian group of size p-1

In summary, having isomorphic subgroups and isomorphic quotients does not necessarily mean that the original groups are isomorphic in the case of finite abelian groups.
sid_galt
Suppose we have two finite abelian groups [tex]G,G^{\prime}[/tex] of size [tex]n=pq[/tex], [tex]p,q[/tex] being primes. [tex]G[/tex] is cyclic.

Both [tex]G,G^{\prime}[/tex] have subgroups [tex]H,H^{\prime}[/tex], both of size [tex]q[/tex]. The factor groups [tex]G/H,\ G^{\prime}/H^{\prime}[/tex] are cyclic and since they are of equal size, they are isomorphic. Are [tex]G,G^{\prime}[/tex] also isomorphic?

Edit: The title is wrong. p-1 has nothing to do with this problem. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the groups G and G' are required to be isomorphic. You have already defined G so consider
[tex] G' = <a,b|a^{p}=b^{q}=e> [/tex]
where e is the identity. This should be a suitable counter example -try working through it.

If I am wrong about it being a counter example then this should prove that G and G' are required to be isomorphic as there are only two non-isomorphic groups of order pq with p and q being prime.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: sorry for that earlier post

Let p > q. Now, if q does not divide p-1 then any group of order p*q must be cyclic. (This is a result which can be proved easily with sylow's theorems)
A simple example are groups of order 15 = 5*3.

If on the other hand, q does divide p-1 then this group must be non-abelian. (The proof for this is a bit involved, but it can be found in some textbook like herstein).

Now since, you have already stated that G is cyclic. This implies q does not divide p-1. Then G must be cyclic and so must be G'. Hence they must be isomorphic.

Suppose p = q. In this case, its really difficult to say anything, because G' has two possible structures:
1. a cyclic group of order p^2.
2. a group isomorphic to C_p x C_p. (C_p is the cyclic group of order p)

I'll try to find the references containing the proofs for the results I have stated above and post them later, but I hope this was useful.

Last edited:
Thirsty dog, the group you defined for G' is infinite: it is the free product of C_p and C_q.Do you know an structure theorems for finite abelian groups? Are you supposed to assume that p and q are distinct primes?

Hey Matt,

I forgot to say Abelian... I am guessing you realized this by your next comment.

I was under the impression that any finite Abelian group is expressible as the Cartesian products of a finite number of cyclic groups whose orders are prime powers.

I think that if p and q are distinct then the cyclic group of order pq is isomorphic to the Cartesian of cyclic groups of order p and q. If p and q are equal then no such isomorphism exist.

This says in terms of the original question G and G' are definitely isomorphic if p is distinct from q. But if p=q then G and G' are not always isomorphic. Ancient_Nomad has pointed this out.

Intuitively, I would guess that H,H' are isomorphic => G,G' are isomorphic...

Consider
[tex] C_{4} = <c|c^{4}=e> \mbox{ and } C_{2}\times C_{2} = <a,b|a^{2}=b^{2}=e,ab=ba> [/tex]
These are clearly not isomorphic as the first has an element of order 4 while the latter does not.

We can choose the subgroups
[tex] H = <c^{2}> \mbox{ and } H' = <a> [/tex]
Thus H and H' are isomorphic. Also
[tex] C_{4}/H \cong C_{2} \cong C_{2}\times C_{2}/H' [/tex]

This shows that just because an two Abelian groups can have isomorphic subgroups and their quotients are also isomorphic doesn't imply the original groups are.

1. What is a finite abelian group of size p-1?

A finite abelian group of size p-1 is a group with p-1 elements where all elements commute with each other. This means that the order in which the elements are multiplied does not affect the result.

2. How do you determine the size of a finite abelian group of size p-1?

The size of a finite abelian group of size p-1 can be determined by finding all the divisors of p-1. These divisors will be the possible orders of the elements in the group. The group size will then be the number of divisors found.

3. What is the significance of p-1 in a finite abelian group of size p-1?

The number p-1 in a finite abelian group of size p-1 is significant because it is the order of the group. This means that the group contains p-1 elements and has p-1 as its highest possible order for an element.

4. Can a finite abelian group of size p-1 have more than one generator?

Yes, a finite abelian group of size p-1 can have multiple generators. In fact, all elements in the group can be generators as long as their orders are relatively prime to p-1.

5. What are some examples of finite abelian groups of size p-1?

Some examples of finite abelian groups of size p-1 include the cyclic group of order p-1, the Klein four-group, and the direct product of two cyclic groups of order (p-1)/2. These groups can also be represented using familiar notation, such as Zp-1 or Cp-1.