Finite Abelian Group: Proving # Subgps Order p = # Subgps Index p

In summary, the problem states that for a finite abelian group A, the number of subgroups of order p is equal to the number of subgroups of index p, where p is a prime. The poster has attempted to prove this using a bijective proof and the elementary divisor decomposition, but has not been successful. A hint is provided, suggesting the use of the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups to generalize the result.
fightalgebra

Homework Statement

A be a finite abelian group, prove # of subgps of order p = # of subgps of index p, p is a prime.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have thought about this probably very easy problem for 2 hours and could not find a
satisfying proof. I have tried bijective proof but failed
(sending <x> |-> A/<x> is fruitless), and I tried elementary
divisor decomposition
(writing A as G x Z_(p^(a_1))x... x Z_(p^(a_n)) x H, focusing
on the cyclic p-group part, and I have found that the number
of order p subgroups must be p^n - 1 in any such A) which I think is the right
direction but still can not work it out..T_T...please someone
please give me some hint please...please don't refer to too advanced a
theorem apart from the two abelian group decomposition theorems...thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. This is a very interesting problem that requires a deep understanding of abelian groups and their subgroups. Let me provide you with a hint that may help you in your proof.
First, consider the case where A is a cyclic group of order p^n, where p is a prime. In this case, it is easy to see that the number of subgroups of order p is p^n - 1, since there are p^n elements in A and only one of them is the identity element.
Next, consider the case where A is a direct product of two cyclic groups of order p^n and p^m, where n > m. In this case, it can be shown that the number of subgroups of order p is (p^n - 1)(p^m - 1), which is equal to the number of subgroups of index p.
Using these two cases, you can try to generalize the result for any finite abelian group A by using the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups, which states that any finite abelian group is isomorphic to a direct product of cyclic groups.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is a finite abelian group?

A finite abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and an operation, typically denoted as + or *, that follows the commutative property (a+b = b+a) and the associative property (a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c). These groups are studied in the field of abstract algebra and can have various applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.

2. What does it mean for a finite abelian group to be "abelian"?

A finite abelian group is considered "abelian" if its operation is commutative, meaning the order in which elements are combined does not affect the outcome. In other words, for any elements a and b in the group, a*b = b*a.

3. What does it mean for a subgroup to have the same order as the index?

The order of a subgroup refers to the number of elements in that subgroup. The index, on the other hand, refers to the number of cosets (or distinct left or right translates) of the subgroup in the parent group. If the order of a subgroup is equal to the index, it means that every element in the parent group can be expressed as a product of one of the elements in the subgroup and one of the cosets, and no two distinct cosets contain the same element from the subgroup.

4. Why is it important to prove that # Subgps Order p = # Subgps Index p?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the structure of finite abelian groups. It allows us to categorize these groups and make statements about their properties, which can have implications in other areas of mathematics or applied fields. Additionally, this proof can be used to find the number of subgroups of a given order, which can be useful in solving problems related to finite abelian groups.

5. What are some real-life applications of finite abelian groups?

Finite abelian groups have various applications in cryptography and coding theory. For example, they can be used to generate public and private keys in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm, which is commonly used in secure communication protocols. They are also used in error-correcting codes, which are used to detect and correct errors in data transmission. Finite abelian groups also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of crystal structures and symmetries.