1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Abelian Groups

1. Jul 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a finite group with N , normal subgroup of G, and a, an element in G.
    Prove that if (a) intersect N = (e), then o(An) = o(a).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (aN)^(o(a)) = a^(o(a)) * N = eN = N, but is the least power such that (aN)^m = N. Assume m must divide o(a).

(aN)^((o(a)) = (aN)^ (mq +r) where 0 <= r < m,
    However, ((aN)^m)-q * a(N)^(o(a)) = (a(N)^r)= N = (a(N)^r).
    r < m so r= 0 and mq= o(a).
    I am not sure how to continue however, am I even going in the right direction?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2
    Presumably ##(a)## is meant to indicate the cyclic subgroup of ##G## generated by the element ##a##, ##aN## is the left coset ##aN=\{an:n\in N\}## considered as an element of the quotient group ##G/N##, ##o(a)## is order of ##a## as an element of ##G## and ##o(aN)## the order of the element ##aN## in the quotient group ##G/N##.

You've correctly identified that ##aN^{o(a)}=a^{o(a)}N=eN=N## and concluded (I think) that ##o(aN)|o(a)##, or at the very least that ##o(aN)\leq o(a)## (which is all that's really needed).

What remains to be shown is that ##o(a)\leq o(aN)##. This is where you probably want to use the necessary fact that ##(a)\cap N=(e)##.

Hint:
    For all ##k##, ##a^k\in aN^k##

4. Jul 28, 2014 #3
    That made sense and I think I got it. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted