How Does Charge Distribution Affect Forces in a Polygonal Arrangement?

In summary: ren will be attracted to a minus sign with a certain force (greater than a minus 1), you'll have to calculate it
Imo
Finite Number of Charges around a regular Polygon

I know this is probably an easy one, but I'm just unsure...

There are 13 equal charges, q, that are placed at the corners of a regular 13-sided polygon.

a) What is the Force on a test charge Q at the centre?

What I've been donig is simply saying that all but three of the charges will cancel with the remaining three charges having a Y shape. then here, the total force F =2Fcos(theta) -F and then calculated theta as 2pi/13 (F is the force of one point charge).

Is this right? it seems very complicated for what at first glance seems like a simple question.

b) If one of the 13 charges is removed, what is the force on Q?

In this case I have: F=Fcos[theta] - F. Again, this just doesn't "feel" right.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use symmetry in your part a, the answer need no calculation at all...
remove a positive charge is same as place a negative charge on top of that positive charge... after you get part a, just add a negative charge and you'll get the answer, again, no calculation is needed

Imo said:
I know this is probably an easy one, but I'm just unsure...

There are 13 equal charges, q, that are placed at the corners of a regular 13-sided polygon.

a) What is the Force on a test charge Q at the centre?

What I've been donig is simply saying that all but three of the charges will cancel with the remaining three charges having a Y shape. then here, the total force F =2Fcos(theta) -F and then calculated theta as 2pi/13 (F is the force of one point charge).

Is this right? it seems very complicated for what at first glance seems like a simple question.

The resultant of all forces will be zero because of symmetry. Think: if there is a nonzero resultant force, and you turn the whole polygon by 2pi/13 the resultant force vector would turn with the same angle. But the configuration is the same as before, you can not see any difference if the "first" charge is upmost or the "second" one. That means that the resultant should be the same as before. What is the vector that stays the same if you turn it?

b) If one of the 13 charges is removed, what is the force on Q?

You can remove a charge by putting an opposite one at the same place. You know the resultant of all 13 equal charges, now you have an additional charge, and the forces add up...

ehild

1. What is a finite charge distribution?

A finite charge distribution refers to a collection of charged particles that have a limited and defined amount of charge. This can include both positive and negative charges.

2. How is the charge distributed in a finite charge distribution?

The charge is typically distributed in a finite charge distribution in a way that balances out the positive and negative charges. This can result in a net neutral charge, or a non-zero net charge depending on the distribution.

3. What factors can affect the distribution of charge in a finite charge distribution?

The distribution of charge in a finite charge distribution can be affected by factors such as the number and type of charged particles, their positions and distances from each other, and other external influences such as electric fields.

4. What is the importance of studying finite charge distributions?

Studying finite charge distributions is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of charged particles in various materials and systems. This knowledge can have applications in fields such as electronics, materials science, and particle physics.

5. How is finite charge distribution related to Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law, which describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles, is applicable to finite charge distributions as well. The total force acting on a charged particle in a finite charge distribution is the vector sum of the forces exerted by all other charged particles, calculated using Coulomb's law.