Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Cylinder in an electric field

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could might know where maybe the following situation has been worked out: A finite cylinder of length L sticks out of a flat, horizontal plane. The plane and the finite cylinder are both grounded, and are placed into a previously uniform electric field, E = E0 (in the z-direction)

Anyway, I attempted the problem in the usual way, seperation of variables. Basically, I got as far as V ~ (J-zero(kr))*(sinh(kz))
    (where the integral should be over all k>0). I thought maybe I should first concentrate on one section at a time, like get V below z=L, then make sure this expression matches V from above z=L, but that doesn't really get me anywhere, since at most V from above would be a linear combination of sinh and cosh, which is just e^kz. I can't get any useful coefficients (the f(k)'s, they are continuous of course) from boundary conditions, at least that I can see. Is this problem analytically possible? If not, I'll probably just try to use the greens' function for a spherical boss on a grounded plane; I just wanted to see for myself how the the E-field deforms around a grounded object. I've seen the drawings in text-books, and I know what should happen, but I kinda wanted to look at a simple object and see the exact expression for the E-field or the equipotentials

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted