1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Definition of Languages problem

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A palindrome over an alphabet Ʃ is a string in Ʃ* that is spelled the same forward and backward. The set of palindromes over Ʃ can be defined recursively as follows:

i) Basis: λ and a, for all a that are elements of Ʃ, are palindromes.

ii) Recursive step: If w is a palindrome and a is an element of Ʃ, then awa is a palindrome.

iii) Closure: w is a palindrome only if it can be obtained form the basis elements by a finite number of applications of the recursive step.

The set of palindromes can also be defined by {w | w = w^R }. Prove that these two definitions generate the same set.

(w^R means the reversal of w)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have an attempt because I'm not sure how to start the proof. Do I prove this the same way I would prove the associative law of sets, or would I prove this using induction?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted