Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite difference method

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1
    I am curious to know if anyone has a program that will solve for 2-D Transient finite difference I have an assignment in a heat transfer class and I am supposed to use Matlab to solve for this. The governing equation (given in the attachement) is to solve using finite difference method using matlab.

In this problem we know the heat generated (Q) as 11×106W/m2.

The material using for this study is aluminum having following material properties

ρ = 2700 kg/m3,
    k = 180 W/m-K,
    c=896 J/kg-K.

In this study maximum time is allowed as for generated heat (Q) is 0.5 seconds.

My assignment is to find out the temperature distribution of the sheet at the end of 0.5 Seconds.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2007 #2

J77

You need to go read a book on finite difference methods - and apply the formulae the book gives. I doubt you'll find anyone here willing to send you code as that's against the rules.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

This is definitely homework and J77 is right. We will not provide answers. You need to provide some form of an attempt at the problem. This is a basic problem in pretty much all PDE texts from engineering.

5. Mar 13, 2007 #4
    I have an assignment in my heat and mass transfer class that is almost exactly like that. We were suggested to use excel though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?