Finite Difference: Developing 2nd Order Fromms Scheme (Help)

In summary, Finite Difference is a numerical method used in scientific research to solve differential equations by approximating derivatives at specific points. A 2nd Order Fromms Scheme is a type of Finite Difference method that offers higher accuracy and is commonly used in analyzing physical phenomena. However, limitations of using this method include the need for a fine grid resolution and the inability to handle complex geometries or boundary conditions.
flyingcarpet
how can i develope second order Fromms difference scheme by using these points:
(i-2, i-1, i , i+1) Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi flyingcarpet! :smile:

What's a Fromms difference scheme?

I can't find Fromm on wikipedia or google … :confused:

Finite difference is a numerical method used to approximate the derivatives of a function at a given point by using a finite number of points around it. In order to develop a second order Fromms difference scheme, we need to consider the points (i-2, i-1, i, i+1) as given in the problem.

To begin, we first need to define the second order derivative at point i as:

f''(i) = (f(i+1) - 2f(i) + f(i-1)) / h^2

where h is the distance between the points i and i+1 (or i and i-1).

Next, we can use Taylor series expansion to approximate the values of f(i+1) and f(i-1) as:

f(i+1) = f(i) + f'(i)*h + (1/2)*f''(i)*h^2 + O(h^3)

f(i-1) = f(i) - f'(i)*h + (1/2)*f''(i)*h^2 + O(h^3)

Substituting these values in the definition of second order derivative, we get:

f''(i) = (f(i+1) - 2f(i) + f(i-1)) / h^2

= [f(i) + f'(i)*h + (1/2)*f''(i)*h^2 + O(h^3) - 2f(i) + f(i) - f'(i)*h + (1/2)*f''(i)*h^2 + O(h^3)] / h^2

= (f''(i) + O(h^2)) / h^2

= f''(i) / h^2 + O(h^2)

Therefore, the second order derivative f''(i) can be approximated as:

f''(i) = (f(i+1) - 2f(i) + f(i-1)) / h^2 + O(h^2)

This is known as the second order Fromms difference scheme.

In order to use this scheme, we need to have the values of f(i+1) and f(i-1) available. This can be achieved by using additional points (i-2, i-3) and (i+2, i+3)

What is Finite Difference?

Finite Difference is a numerical method used to solve differential equations by approximating the derivatives using discrete values at specific points.

How is Finite Difference used in scientific research?

Finite Difference is used in scientific research to simulate and analyze physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and heat transfer, that are described by differential equations.

What is a 2nd Order Fromms Scheme in Finite Difference?

A 2nd Order Fromms Scheme is a type of Finite Difference method that uses a second-order approximation for the derivative at each point, resulting in a more accurate solution compared to first-order schemes.

What are the advantages of using a 2nd Order Fromms Scheme in Finite Difference?

The main advantage of using a 2nd Order Fromms Scheme in Finite Difference is its higher accuracy compared to first-order schemes, which leads to more reliable results and better understanding of the physical phenomenon being studied.

What are the limitations of using Finite Difference and 2nd Order Fromms Scheme?

Some limitations of using Finite Difference and 2nd Order Fromms Scheme include the need for a fine grid resolution, which can be computationally expensive, and the inability to handle complex geometries or boundary conditions.