Finite Differences proving

• Thread starter relinquished™
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, by mathematical induction, it can be proven that for a polynomial of degree n, the nth difference can be expressed as \Delta^n p(x) = a_0 n! where a_0 is the leading coefficient. This can be shown by first proving for the base case of n=1, and then using induction to show that it holds for all values of n. The first difference of a polynomial of degree n+1 is a polynomial of degree n with a leading coefficient of n!, which can be derived from the general formula for \Delta^k x^n.
relinquished™
I am to prove by mathematical induction that for a polynomial of degree n p(x) with leading coefiicient a_0,

[tex]
\Delta^n p(x) = a_o n!
[/tex]

My proof: By mathematical induction

[tex]
\Delta^1 p(x) = [a_0(x+1) + a_1] - [a_0x + a_1]
[/tex]
[tex]
\Delta^1 p(x) = [a_0x + a_0 + a_1] - [a_0x + a_1]
[/tex]
[tex]
\Delta^1 p(x) = a_0
[/tex]
[tex]
\Delta^1 p(x) = a_0 \cdot 1!
[/tex]

hence, S(1) is true

This is where I have a problem. I assume that [tex]\Delta^n p(x) = a_o n! [/tex] is true... how do i show that S(n+1) is also true? The degree of the polynomial becomes n+1 and my S(n) becomes inapplicable already...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the first difference of a polynomial of degree n+1? Isn't it a polynomial of degree n? What is its leading coefficient?

First show that n=1,2,...
[tex]\Delta x^{n}=n x^{n-1} +P_{n-2}[/tex]
where P_{n} means some polynomial of degree at most n
and thus P_0=0
and
[tex]\Delta P_{0}=0[/tex]
then show by induction that for k=0,...,n
[tex]\Delta^k x^n=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}x^{n-k}+P_{n-1-k}[/tex]
Take your result as a special case

1. What is "Finite Differences proving"?

Finite Differences proving is a mathematical method used to prove the accuracy and convergence of numerical approximations. It involves taking the difference between two consecutive values of a function and analyzing the pattern to determine the convergence rate.

2. How does the method of Finite Differences work?

The method of Finite Differences involves calculating the difference between two consecutive values of a function and then using this difference to create a new function. This process is repeated until a pattern emerges, which can then be used to determine the convergence rate of the original function.

3. What is the purpose of using Finite Differences in scientific research?

Finite Differences is a useful tool in scientific research because it allows for the proof of accuracy and convergence of numerical approximations. This is important in fields such as physics and engineering where numerical calculations are used to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can Finite Differences be used for any type of function?

Yes, Finite Differences can be used for any type of function, as long as the function is differentiable and has a continuous derivative. This includes polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

5. What are the limitations of Finite Differences?

One limitation of Finite Differences is that it can only be used to determine the convergence rate of a function, not the exact value. Additionally, it may not be suitable for functions with a high degree of complexity or functions with discontinuities.